9/3 spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2013
I have been doing some pitching with a taped ball. One kid that I have been working with is having a tough time catching the whip and getting the 1/7 spin. She gets its occasionally (30-40%), but consistently gets a 9/3 spin. Anyone experience anything like this? What could be going wrong with the release to get this 9/3 spin? What are some cues to consistently get the 1/7?

Too be clear, If I were looking at the ball from above it would be spinning counter clockwise....

Thanks!

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Can you clarify the axis and direction of spin? By 1/7, I'm visualizing axis orientation from above (spin is down and inside.) 9/3 I'm guessing axis is vertical and curve spin?

If so, my guess is she's trying to force pronation. If you think this is the case, get her to think of a loose whip or snap. Try to whip the ball out of the hand instead of trying to throw it.

Dec 4, 2013
Look for a cupped wrist and late I/R. One correction is to over correct and let them feel their thumb to the catcher at release like a drop ball.

JJ, I think we are on the same page. I thought this was from late IR, but wanted some more opinions. The late release seems to cause her to come across the ball instead of being inside/behind it. I used the "thumb on top" cue as well and that does seem to help. I never thought about a cupped wrist causing this, but come to think of it she does tend to cup her wrist as well.....thanks for the feedback

Dec 4, 2013
Can you clarify the axis and direction of spin? By 1/7, I'm visualizing axis orientation from above (spin is down and inside.) 9/3 I'm guessing axis is vertical and curve spin?

If so, my guess is she's trying to force pronation. If you think this is the case, get her to think of a loose whip or snap. Try to whip the ball out of the hand instead of trying to throw it.

You are correct with the axis......she is definitely a little stiff and seems to force the ball. Good stuff, thx

Dec 4, 2013
She actually does throw that pitch pretty well, and I think it has something to do with the problem! I noticed she has a difficult time going from the corkscrew curve back to the fastball. It always takes a few pitches to get the correct spin on the pitch when alternating between pitches.....

Being that it is now the off season would you recommend our sole focus on getting correct FB spin 100% of the time with the I/R progression before even thinking about going on to anything else? That was the plan.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA