8u coach to win or have fun

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
It really depends on the league and where you play. In SoCal, fall rec league was more developmental. Spring was more competitive and about half the players would go on to play all stars for the summer where they played local tournaments, districts and state tournaments that were all kid pitch at 8u. We always stressed fundamentals but preparing the team to be competitive and win games was also important. The players loved getting MVP awards and trophies, let's not "kid" ourselves. My DD and I have some great memories from those years as do all the families that experienced it. Winning is fun, if done the right way. It's not mutually exclusive.

Feb 17, 2014
At 8U rec (boys and girls), my record is something like 100-5. I did lineups by whoever got to the park first, and then by shoe size. We had coach pitch.

How do I win? Fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals. The more groundballs and popups the kids take at practice, the more you win. By the end of the year, my outfielders were catching some fly balls.

a) The only critical position is 1B. You want a kid who will catch the ball at 1B. That is the only position where I was selective.
b) Teach them the way to get the force out at 2B and 3B.
c) Teach them how to backup.
d) Teach them how to throw for accuracy. You do this by having them throw at a target *NOT* to a person. (Psychology: If they throw to a person, they think if the other person catches the ball, then it it a good throw. So, teach them to throw to a specific location. You can come up with a lot of fun games.)
e) teach them how to throw for distance. Have them lineup and see who can throw the farthest. Then, have them run to the ball and see who threw the ball farthest. Rinse and repeat. Stupid game? Yep. Will the kids do this forever? Yep. One of the oddities of boys vs. girls is that boys will do this without any prodding. They will immediately find out who has the strongest arm. Girls won't unless you make them...but, they are just as competitive as the boys and will start studying the kids who throw the ball farthest. It is amazing how quickly their arm strength improves.
f) Make practices fun.
g) If you want the kids to hustle, *YOU* have to hustle.

This times eleventy-billion.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It really depends on the league and where you play. In SoCal, fall rec league was more developmental. Spring was more competitive and about half the players would go on to play all stars for the summer where they played local tournaments, districts and state tournaments that were all kid pitch at 8u. We always stressed fundamentals but preparing the team to be competitive and win games was also important. The players loved getting MVP awards and trophies, let's not "kid" ourselves. My DD and I have some great memories from those years as do all the families that experienced it. Winning is fun, if done the right way. It's not mutually exclusive.

This ^^^ was our experience, too

Jun 12, 2015
Winning is absolutely more fun than losing, at any age. The problem is when coaches are willing to sacrifice kids' playing time and development for the win, especially at younger ages.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The problem is when coaches are willing to sacrifice kids' playing time and development for the win, especially at younger ages.

The problem is that coaches don't know how to teach and develop players...so, they end up sitting their weak players during games and ignoring them during practices.

The key to winning is for your weak players to hit and field well. You teach them how to hit and field at practice and during the game. At the 10U rec, the more success a kid has, the more success a kid will have.

Every kid wants to get a hit when mom and dad are watching...you help the kid achieve that, and the kid will work twice as hard.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The problem is that coaches don't know how to teach and develop players...so, they end up sitting their weak players during games and ignoring them during practices.

The key to winning is for your weak players to hit and field well. You teach them how to hit and field at practice and during the game. At the 10U rec, the more success a kid has, the more success a kid will have.

Every kid wants to get a hit when mom and dad are watching...you help the kid achieve that, and the kid will work twice as hard.

Yep. This goes along with my philosophy about individual development, too - work hardest on your biggest weaknesses. Always keep you best skills improving, but the more weaknesses can be eliminated/reduced, the better your overall performance. The challenge is that most players don't like working on the things they fail at most. They like success, so they spend the most time on things they are already good at.

Nov 2, 2015
Yep. This goes along with my philosophy about individual development, too - work hardest on your biggest weaknesses. Always keep you best skills improving, but the more weaknesses can be eliminated/reduced, the better your overall performance. The challenge is that most players don't like working on the things they fail at most. They like success, so they spend the most time on things they are already good at.

Yes, that is true. We're talking about 8U here, though. None of these girls are great at anything, and coaches need to spend equal time with each girl. (If an 8U coach is ignoring girls that are struggling, I'd request a new coach!)
Sure, the coach can suggest the parents put in the extra time, but that doesn't always happen...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Yes, that is true. We're talking about 8U here, though. None of these girls are great at anything, and coaches need to spend equal time with each girl. (If an 8U coach is ignoring girls that are struggling, I'd request a new coach!)
Sure, the coach can suggest the parents put in the extra time, but that doesn't always happen...

I've seen some pretty amazing 8U players. I know Rocketech1 has, too. Even at 8U, there are girls who have some solid fundamentals in place, and don't need as much instructional time with simple basics. Generally speaking, those are the girls who are doing the extra work outside of team practices. For 8U and 10U rec, I found it very effective to split the team into groups so the kids who need more basic and individualized instruction in a particular area can get it, and kids who have more advanced skills can work together at a level more appropriate for their needs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors