70mph

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
i'm just saying. even accidentally. why risk best pitcher if she's not an absolute bomber of a hitter??? more and more elite level pitchers are not batting or playing other fielding positions.

It's certainly a good point. And probably what many coaches are thinking. Heck, even in 12U coaches are trying to protect their pitchers.

Jun 8, 2016
Well, if I have a handful of average pitchers but one is a better SS than the one currently on the field, I would not hesitate to swap them out. Obviously if the SS is making errors (assuming we’re talking college-level here) then the ball is being put in play and the current pitcher is not dominating.

Obviously if I have a dominant pitcher and she’s K’ing almost everyone (and the SS muffed a couple of plays) then she’ll stay in. Can always bring the SP back in if the sub can’t get it done.

Difficult to make that kind of decision without seeing what is actually happening during the game, or knowing the score, etc.
The choice being discussed here isn't whether one should choose to play a pitcher at another position over her actually pitching. The choice is whether or not a pitcher should play another position and/or hit when she wasn't going to pitch (or just hit when she does pitch..)

May 13, 2023
Well, if I have a handful of average pitchers but one is a better SS than the one currently on the field, I would not hesitate to swap them out.
Yep could do that!... because it probably wouldn't affect what's happening in the circle.

Obviously if the SS is making errors (assuming we’re talking college-level here)
Any level could be same scenario.
Obviously if I have a dominant pitcher
And there is the reason of consideration for the dominant pitchers.

May 27, 2013
The choice being discussed here isn't whether one should choose to play a pitcher at another position over her actually pitching. The choice is whether or not a pitcher should play another position and/or hit when she wasn't going to pitch (or just hit when she does pitch..)

I was responding to RAD’s scenario of pulling my #1 or #2 pitcher (if they are also very good at SS) who is currently pitching to replace the current SS who is making errors.

Jun 8, 2016
An average pitcher is always going to be more valuable than an average position player and for every position (except maybe catcher) an average pitcher is going to be more valuable than an above average position player.

Jun 8, 2016
I was responding to RAD’s scenario of pulling my #1 or #2 pitcher (if they are also very good at SS) who is currently pitching to replace the current SS who is making errors.
Right..I should have responded to her post..I was just lazy...lol.

May 13, 2023
An average pitcher is always going to be more valuable than an average position player and for every position (except maybe catcher) an average pitcher is going to be more valuable than an above average position player.
Yes that has been the point.
Appreciate and recognize you are supporting a player who can pitch is more valuable than other defensive players.
Catchers also!

Hence the reasoning behind teams saving pitchers from Harm's Way, Heat exhaustion and workload.

Jun 8, 2016
Yes that has been the point.
Appreciate and recognize you are supporting a player who can pitch is more valuable than other defensive players.
Catchers also!

Hence the reasoning behind teams saving pitchers from Harm's Way, Heat exhaustion and workload.

Again it's a question of risk/reward..at some point if the kid is a good enough hitter compared to her peers, then having her hit in games she doesn't pitch (or games she does pitch) outweighs the possible reduction in effectiveness when she does pitch. The point is that when a coach just blindly says pitchers don't hit then they are not assessing that risk/reward scenario on a case by case basis.

May 13, 2023
Look at it this way. I bet the hitting statistics of pitchers who do hit is probably better than the average position player....
Meeehhhh not sure about that better part?

With certainty there are pitchers who are only pitchers because pitchers can be awkward athletically and still pitch,
but the awkward athletic ability limits their defensive and/or hitting skills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles