5 year old always swings late

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2013
Yes. We have the stick and she does good with it. Also it seems like a lot of Dairy Queen a lot. I am afraid I will not be able to get through the door. You know when she gets ice cream, I have to get a scoop also.LOL

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
While many people make valid points, I'll stick with my original post and say its never too early to teach a high level swing or mechanics. These kids are so much smarter than we give them credit for. Don't focus on age, instead focus on teaching solid mechanics and she'll probably surprise you!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
And hogwash to those that say "she's only a five year old." If she loves playing and wants to learn and works on this she will be MILES ahead of all the other girls once she gets to the 10U level. Start them young, but don't be a drill seargeant and just keep it fun. Be encouraging and DON'T show any disappointment! Maybe do this drill only twice a week for starters. A trip to the ice cream shop after a good hitting session will keep it positive and teach her to work hard to achieve her goals. Let us know how it works out!

I agree w/ you and Coach James that age 5 is not too young to learn and improve. But the point that I and others are trying to make is that FUN is the most important thing, by far, at age 5. Therefore, go at her pace. If she wants to practice her hitting, then help her. Just keep it fun. Her desire to play next season is a much better predictor of how good she'll be down the road than her hitting skills right now, IMO.

Dec 9, 2011
keep it fun and remember her attention span is short.... Let her hit water balloons... pitch her water balloons..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207