4th out appeal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 23, 2012
Guys was curious to what the ruling of this would be.

girls on second and third 2outs. Batter his a line drive down the right field line. Both girls score and the batter runner misses first base. The batter runner is thrown out at 3rd base on a close call. Now the team on defense wants to appeal the that batter runner missed first base. what is the ruling.

Nov 29, 2009
Guys was curious to what the ruling of this would be.

girls on second and third 2outs. Batter his a line drive down the right field line. Both girls score and the batter runner misses first base. The batter runner is thrown out at 3rd base on a close call. Now the team on defense wants to appeal the that batter runner missed first base. what is the ruling.

The runs scored before the appeal was made. Even if the runner was safe at 3rd both runs score regardless because an appeal is a timing play. The reason the coach wanted the appeal at 1st was he thought it would negate the runs that scored.

Jun 22, 2008
The runs scored before the appeal was made. Even if the runner was safe at 3rd both runs score regardless because an appeal is a timing play. The reason the coach wanted the appeal at 1st was he thought it would negate the runs that scored.

Taking the 4th out appeal out of the equation and assuming the batter/runner was safe at 3rd on the play but missed 1st base. On appeal this does become the same as a a force play, the batter/runner never safely reached 1st base, the result is the 3rd out on a force at 1st and no runs would score.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2014
If the umpire called the B/R out at third the two runs would have scored.
Three outs.
But now the defense appeals that the B/R missed first.
If the appeal is upheld then the B/R is called out and no runs will score.
if ASA does not allow this I would rule that the missed base happened before the put out at third and supersedes.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
If the umpire called the B/R out at third the two runs would have scored.
Three outs.
But now the defense appeals that the B/R missed first.
If the appeal is upheld then the B/R is called out and no runs will score.
if ASA does not allow this I would rule that the missed base happened before the put out at third and supersedes.

And under ASA rules you would immediatly have a protest on your hands and your ruling would be overturned. Under ASA rules you cannot accept or rule on an appeal of a 4th out other than on a runner who has scored.

Jul 2, 2013
Taking the 4th out appeal out of the equation and assuming the batter/runner was safe at 3rd on the play but missed 1st base. On appeal this does become the same as a a force play, the batter/runner never safely reached 1st base, the result is the 3rd out on a force at 1st and no runs would score.

We had the exact same happen a few nights ago. Batter doubles in a run. Umpire rules batter missed 1st base. Batter force out at 1st, and being it was the 3rd out, run scored taken off the board.

Have no clue how it is done on appeal though.

Jun 22, 2008
We had the exact same happen a few nights ago. Batter doubles in a run. Umpire rules batter missed 1st base. Batter force out at 1st, and being it was the 3rd out, run scored taken off the board.

Have no clue how it is done on appeal though.

Did the defense appeal the runner missing 1st, or did the umpire just make the ruling without an appeal? Umpires are not to rule on missed bases or bases left to soon without an appeal.

Jul 2, 2013
Did the defense appeal the runner missing 1st, or did the umpire just make the ruling without an appeal? Umpires are not to rule on missed bases or bases left to soon without an appeal.

Not absolutely sure on that one. The defensive coach may have yelled it out. I did not see a formal appeal.

The game was way out of hand. It was the last out of team ahead's turn at bat (us, run rule). I think the umpire was just wanting to go home.

During the same game, the same umpire called our attempted steal an out from a left early. I do not think a left early requires any appeal. Happens all the time, mostly by the dominant team giving away outs to move the game along. Though I am not an umpire, and pretty stupid about the technicalities of rules, my understanding was a leave early is called on the field. At least that is how I see it called.

Only post because I had just saw it a day or so ago.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321