40 Feet AGAIN

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2019
There's a reason NCAA softball is exposing in popularity right now. The game is fast and exciting, way faster than baseball and it shows in TV ratings. Trying to go back to 1-0 18-20 strike out games will just kill that momentum. If any reverse the slap foot rules.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Sep 13, 2021
Perhaps too reductive, but 3 feet closer seems to penalize movement pitches by taking away late break and favors smoke shows by reducing hitter reaction time.

Jun 8, 2016
This is a myth that still seems to be hanging around. The bats are not any hotter than years ago, but the sweet spots are much larger. Top exit velocities remain the same.
Depends on how you define "hot"..being able to hit it anywhere other than the handle and having it go 210 feet seems pretty "hot" to me..

Dec 11, 2010
I love college softball exactly where it is.

The reason for so many home runs is when the “have’s” play the “have nots.” There are only so many truly good pitchers and the ones who are not among the best get the absolute snot hit out of them.

When good competition plays good competition, there are a lot less HR’s.

Want to make softball better? Figure out how to keep more pitchers pitching when they are young so there are more high quality pitchers later.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Truly good pitchers are few and far between. Unfortunately the recent decision by some alphabets to allow pitchers to leap will only lead to many more mediocre pitchers. Leaping is not an advantage, it is a symptom of poor mechanics. All the rule does is allow some pitchers to remain in the circle who lack the foundation to compete at a high level in the future.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
There's a reason NCAA softball is exposing in popularity right now. The game is fast and exciting, way faster than baseball and it shows in TV ratings. Trying to go back to 1-0 18-20 strike out games will just kill that momentum. If any reverse the slap foot rules.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Agree fast and exciting!!

Hmmm
Hot bats and livelier ball now ...+ go back to 40 ft
don't think batting averages and scoring would go back to the way it was?!

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I would like to see them deaden the ball a little. If you change the bat rules (like baseball) you make a lot of bats illegal, so change the ball. My first reason on this is pitcher safety, the second is you don't have to relocate the fences further out. It used to be 200' now I see 220'. I also see some out of the sweet spot hits drifting over the fences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00