3B Coverage on a Bunt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Yes, yes, this is an old and overly-discussed topic, but....

Scenario: Runner at 1B with batter bunting.

What I've taught: Corners and pitcher charge bunt. Short-stop covers 2B and second-baseman covers 1B. 3B is covered by either the pitcher of third-baseman after they charge the bunt (i.e., the one who isn't fielding the bunt).

Problem: Teams often get their 1B runner to 3B because the third-baseman and particularly the pitcher forget to peel back to 3B if they aren't the one fielding the bunt.

My new thinking (for us): Very, very seldom will we be throwing to 2B for the out. I'd say 95 percent of the time we're throwing to 1B for the surest out (due to that runner being the last one on the bag). I, therefore, think for our team it would be best to have the short-stop cover 3B to keep the runner at 2B, and, given we essentially concede the runner getting to 2B, have the center-fielder hustle in to keep the runner who gets to 2B a bit more humble (but the throw will not go there). This is NOT what I've taught, but I think it's now what would be best for my team. We have to get the surest out without the opponent getting these extra bases because someone forgets to get back to 3B. Yes, I do realize that many have their left-fielder sprint in to cover 3B, and she should do that if nobody else covers, but I don't believe that is as good (IMO) as having the short-stop cover.

Jun 24, 2013
I do not have an Issue with that, makes sense to me.

It also depends on the age of the Players. 16+, no free bases.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
It's 16U, but we're certainly not among the best. In fact, our players need a lot of work. Most have only played for a couple years, not since they were 10. I just know the weaknesses of our team and think my new thinking, though not the most aggressive, is the safest and easiest thing to do.

Mar 26, 2013
Seems like you're having your SS do something irregular to make up for other players not doing what they're supposed to do. I'm guessing you're contemplating this out of frustration, but it's not going to help any of the players' development.

Jul 14, 2010
Leaves 2B there for the taking with SS covering third. Opposing team will just fake bunt and steal second.

I've seen it done effectively with 3rd peeling back to cover if they don't field the bunt at the older ages. My DD #1's team (16U) also has 1st baseman cross over and cover 3rd if 3rd fields bunt and this seems to work for them.

We're 12U and teach 3rd to peel back but Left fielder is coming hard. If 3rd gets back, left fielder backs up. If 3rd doesn't get back left fielder has the bag. Most of the time just having someone there (at 3rd) keeps the runner from coming and on 2nd.

I just think SS needs to cover 2nd with Runner on 1st or you're giving up the easy steal. We'll also Pop to 2nd base (throw to SS at 2nd) about 80% of the time after getting the out at 1st on the bunt to keep the base runner honest (get a few outs here and there on aggressive base runners rounding 2nd).

Don't like the pitcher covering 3rd especially at the older ages with the metal cleats - too much of a chance for injury (unintentional or otherwise).

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I did mention the left fielder and my thoughts on that in my original post.

So then...what does she do? Does she sit and watch the play develop, or does she run to cover/backup?

Don't get fancy, just work on it over and over. Hit this for a few minutes every time you do defensive situations. 1st priority should be getting 3rd or the pitcher to cover and LF to backup. As was said, the way you want to do it leaves you wide open for a fake bunt, steal. Then all they have to do is bunt the runner to 3rd and you have the same situation if you hadn't covered 3rd. And, although rare, it doesn't allow you the opportunity to get the lead runner at 2nd on a bunt that is hit hard back to pitcher or 3rd.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Teams often get their 1B runner to 3B because the third-baseman and particularly the pitcher forget to peel back to 3B if they aren't the one fielding the bunt.

We also have the LF charge the 3B bag - if the 3B or P gets to the bag then LF positions herself to back up a throw. If 3B or P does not get back to the bag, LF steps in and covers it.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I've come to believe that getting the out at 2B in this particular situation is most often fool's gold--much, much lower odds than getting the out at 1B. It is because of this that having the short-stop cover 3B and center fielder cover 2B (just to keep the runner advancing to 2B humble) is now more appealing to me. Looks like I'm not alone in this assessment....

http://ezinearticles.com/?Fastpitch-Softball---Shortstop-Positioning&id=1060309

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1