34” Liberty Advanced...good for backup mitt?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Is it an older Worth LA or a Rawlings? If it’s a Worth it’s way more than a backup, it’s a great primary mitt!

I was gonna mention my wife's is a Worth LA...she doesn't want anything else. Not saying its the greatest thing out
there...but its damn good quality and I wouldn't be ashamed to have it as my primary.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
What did Rawlings change?
Good question but honestly if you bought this mitt to play catch with your kid and for her to have in the bag as a backup who cares? The Rawlings Liberty Advanced is used by many as their primary and is really a solid choice. My DD hung up her beloved Vinci in favor of it.

Apr 21, 2019
Good question but honestly if you bought this mitt to play catch with your kid and for her to have in the bag as a backup who cares? The Rawlings Liberty Advanced is used by many as their primary and is really a solid choice. My DD hung up her beloved Vinci in favor of it.
[/

I bought the mitt to play catch and as a backup, but I’m guessing that chardrok may be asking from a different perspective.
Though, to be honest, I also would love to know what Rawlings switched up from Worth 😉

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
What did Rawlings change?

I honestly don't know, I've only ever used one of the Worth mitts before, it belonged to a catcher back in 14U that used to catch Anna, it was new at the time and was super nice, built like a tank! I've never used (or even held) a Rawlings LA mitt before.

I think Eric F's DD used a Worth a while back, maybe he'll chime in?

The new Rawlings Liberty Advanced states they're 80% factory break in, 20% player break in. Even though it doesn't say it anywhere, that leads me to believe the leather is the softer Dual Core Technology leather.

On the older Worth mitts, did Worth actually build those mitts or were they sourced out from another manufacturer? Sorry, I don't know the answer to this or what leather they were using at the time?

I will say the Poron XRD palm pads that Rawlings is using in these LA mitts is absolute junk! They deteriorate and flake off into lots of little pieces inside the glove. I personally don't like palm pads but I know they're necessary here in this application. Leather palm pads make much better palm pads to me.

I honestly don't know, I've only ever used one of the Worth mitts before, it belonged to a catcher back in 14U that used to catch Anna, it was new at the time and was super nice, built like a tank! I've never used (or even held) a Rawlings LA mitt before.

I think Eric F's DD used a Worth a while back, maybe he'll chime in?

The new Rawlings Liberty Advanced states they're 80% factory break in, 20% player break in. Even though it doesn't say it anywhere, that leads me to believe the leather is the softer Dual Core Technology leather.

On the older Worth mitts, did Worth actually build those mitts or were they sourced out from another manufacturer? Sorry, I don't know the answer to this or what leather they were using at the time?

I will say the Poron XRD palm pads that Rawlings is using in these LA mitts is absolute junk! They deteriorate and flake off into lots of little pieces inside the glove. I personally don't like palm pads but I know they're necessary here in this application. Leather palm pads make much better palm pads to me.

That is exactly what the pad did in my daughters Worth LA mitt. The palm pad deteriorated and flaked off exactly as you described. Glove is about three years old. Started when it was about a year old. The index and middle finger stall liners also deteriorated.

I've seen a good deal for a dual core HoH catcher's mitt too btw and have been wondering for about 160.00 if it'd be worth it. What's your take on that?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I have a Worth LA that became mine after my DD struggled with it, and ended up settling on a Mizuno MVP. The Worth LS is a really well-built mitt with very good palm padding. The one issue I have noticed with the Worth version is the texture of the leather. The satin finish seems to do a poor job gripping the ball, allowing it to keep spinning longer when it hits the pocket. My DD and a couple of other young players had the same issue with the Worth LA catcher's mitt. Interestingly, other models in the Worth LA lineup (including my DD's fielders glove) didn't seem to have this issue. Personally, it hasn't been an issue for me, but I can squeeze quite a lot harder than most young girls, and I don't care a lot about dropping pitches when doing warm-ups.

I haven't spent a lot of time with the Rawlings version of the LA catcher's mitt, but the leather doesn't have the same satin texture as the Worth, and it seems to be built pretty well.

Especially because of the frequency with which they handle the ball, and the importance of tiny details like mitt positioning when sticking a pitch, a catcher's mitt is a a very personal item, and they need to be 100% confident in their ability with it. What works great for one player might not be so great for another.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
That is exactly what the pad did in my daughters Worth LA mitt. The palm pad deteriorated and flaked off exactly as you described. Glove is about three years old. Started when it was about a year old. The index and middle finger stall liners also deteriorated.

I've seen a good deal for a dual core HoH catcher's mitt too btw and have been wondering for about 160.00 if it'd be worth it. What's your take on that?
Are you talking about this one?

I’m sure it’s a great pattern, and would make a great user, especially at the price you said! I’m sure it would even make me a great mitt for what I do, which is catching Anna.

But I just can’t make myself buy a Dual Core glove, I’m just a snob like that!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619