2nd base runner signals to batter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 5, 2012
Florida
Just looking for an opinion on this. My daughter has never been taught(by coaches) to signal the batters on where the catcher is setting up until she saw this watching some college games a few years ago. She has been doing this since jr high ball, now going into her soph yr. All of coaches have said nothing to her about it (JRH, HS or TB).
Recently at a showcase (last game) she was doing and one of the opposing coaches had an issue with it. I mean she was doing it the whole tourney, but the coach started yelling at my DD on base. Of course, our AC took care of the coach yelling at her.

So is it ethical or just part of the game? Do you see this a lot in Tourneys, HS ball? Do you think this is bush league?

DD is a good kid and competitor and always want to help her teammates in the batters box. She was taken back on what and why the opposing coach was yelling at her. Maybe a little more covert signaling instead of the obvious hands on the location of the catcher. idk, this game.

Oct 26, 2019
I don’t have a problem with it, but I’m coming from baseball where it’s pretty common. Either the catcher needs to set up location later like they do at the higher levels of MLB/College...or if the pitcher doesn’t like it, he/she can always send a message with a pitch the next time the runner comes to bat.

personally pitchers hit their spots so infrequently at the HS and below levels I don’t think knowing the location is a huge advantage. Now knowing when offspeed is coming is a whole ‘nother story

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Communication is an Essential part of fastpitch!

Is signaling from 2nd base always helpful. No.

May 17, 2012
This is nothing.

Coaches should focus on their team and not what the other team does or doesn't do. It's just that simple.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Common practice. If you have a problem as a coach, then do a better job of coaching your catcher.

May 23, 2015
Its poor coaching to have players flag pitches or locations. Also, if another team flags your catcher its an easy fix. Ill lead them down a deadly rabbit hole when i catch it

Oct 4, 2018
Its poor coaching to have players flag pitches or locations. Also, if another team flags your catcher its an easy fix. Ill lead them down a deadly rabbit hole when i catch it

Curious to know what you're getting at. Are you saying you'd trick the runner on 2B into giving the wrong signals to their batter?

Jun 11, 2013
I don't think there are any ethics issues involved. I prefer if someone is going to do it that they are a subtle about it. Some hitters don't like the distraction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06