2 YEARS in July 9 year old

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

at 9 to me she looks very good just make sure you stay on the right path with the mechanics and fundamentals. I didn't really see anything much of a crow hop but don't let her develop one and I would consentrate on drive mechanics, at that age for my DD I used to mark how far she was leaping and mark a spot further out making it her goal but not moving it any further unless her mechanics were correct. we always strove for that 120% of her height. another thing to possibly work on I noticed she moves forward after the delivery of the pitch, you could start working on when she plants for her to push back right at plant which will give her more speed. and at 9 if her mechanics are sound and she is hitting her spots she should be golden.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She should not be moving forward after release.

Right foot should stay behind the left foot, alighned with cacher and second base

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/avcEmdxuc30" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Feb 7, 2013
Why are you frustrated, she's 9yo! Pitching is small incremental improvements. Work on one thing at a time and be positive for your DD so that she loves to practice pitching with you.

In general, she looks pretty good. Typical things to work on is making sure to leap and drag, front side resistance, and mastering the fastball before introducing any other pitch. I like to practice every other day so her body gets a day of rest between practice.

One thing that I am a stickler for is having her pitching from a pitching plate EVERY single time she pitches. Throw down some infield dirt in front of the pitching plate so you can see the drag. Also measure off the distance 35 feet? and put down a home plate. Make sure to do all the pre pitch drills before she does her full windmill pitches. For a 9yo she is well ahead of her peers.

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01