2 strike approach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
I once asked a boy on a baseball team i was coaching what his plan was for his at bat. I expected him to say something like, hit the ball. But he said, on the first strike, if I like it I am going to hit it as hard as I can, if I am at strike 1 I will try to hit any strike hard and if I am on strike 2 I will try to put into play any ball that is close to the strike zone.

I thought that was a pretty good plan, what was most surprising to me was this was a 7 year old and we were in a machine pitch league. That boy is going to college this year to play baseball.

That story kinda give me chills. Very cool!:)

Oct 14, 2008
AHHHH political correctness. That was the last thing I thought would enter a conversation on 2 strikes. If the word butt used in that context were to bother some folks then so be it. When coaching 18u I can tell you the language they use can put my little pc violation to Shame.

Tim

Jun 21, 2012
Lots of great advice.

Here is what I have my hitters do...

When they have two strikes on them, I call for them to make their adjustment. Their adjustment is a half-step up in the box and a half-choke up on the bat. Like everyone before me agrees, this is the time to just worry about hitting the ball into play or fouling off a ball that is close, but can't be used effectively.

Now, why the step up in the box? Good pitchers will try to paint the outside or come hard inside. Good junk ball pitchers will throw their breaking balls now, especially on 0-2 through 2-2 counts. By moving up, we try to get the ball before the break, or hit the rise before it becomes ineffective to hit.

Why the choke on the bat? Now we increase our ability to swing the bat faster while also gaining a bit more control on barrel angle. This will allow our hitter a better chance of "protecting" by fouling balls off until the pitcher makes a mistake.

Remember, a foul ball allows us to swing again, a called strike does not.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
AHHHH political correctness. That was the last thing I thought would enter a conversation on 2 strikes. If the word butt used in that context were to bother some folks then so be it. When coaching 18u I can tell you the language they use can put my little pc violation to Shame.

Tim

It was not a political correctness thing. It was that the girls would be too self-conscious about (the size of) their butts to focus on playing. Hey, wasn't me who made it up; I just thought it was funny.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
From the ASA ACE coaching clinic: never use the word "butt" when coaching girls!

What do they suggest we use instead? Gluteus maximus:confused: I don't think the girls would appreciate me using the word "maximus" when referring to their butt:D

With two strikes I teach my DD to think "up the middle" or "right field" using an inside-out swing. She will also sometimes flatten the barrel a little in her stance. Choking up can also help with quickness and bat control.

Jan 24, 2009
"Protect the plate."

Bold above ..... I believe it means to increase the size of the strike zone slightly.

I agree wih FFS that this is what the phrase is SUPPOSED to mean. If you want a hitter to increase the size of the strike zone slightly, you say "Increase the size of the strike zone slightly." Use hand gestures to show bigger dimensions for a visual too.

If you want a hitter to go on defense and become a goalie with a 'don't let a strike go by' mentality then tell them to 'protect the plate.' They will try to make weak contact so as to avoid a 'K.' I ask parents not to use the phrase 'protect the plate' because it means 'defend the K.' You might just as well hollar "Try not to strike out."

I want kids to try TO do something. If a bat is in your hand you are on OFFENSE, not defense!

With my younger team, I tell them "Do NOT protect the plate. STAY ON OFFENSE but increase the size of the strike zone slightly." They can rip the ball with two strikes, and they don't get ripped for a K when trying to hit for offense.

Good luck!
VW

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
"Protect the plate."

I agree wih FFS that this is what the phrase is SUPPOSED to mean. If you want a hitter to increase the size of the strike zone slightly, you say "Increase the size of the strike zone slightly." Use hand gestures to show bigger dimensions for a visual too.

If you want a hitter to go on defense and become a goalie with a 'don't let a strike go by' mentality then tell them to 'protect the plate.' They will try to make weak contact so as to avoid a 'K.' I ask parents not to use the phrase 'protect the plate' because it means 'defend the K.' You might just as well hollar "Try not to strike out."

I want kids to try TO do something. If a bat is in your hand you are on OFFENSE, not defense!

With my younger team, I tell them "Do NOT protect the plate. STAY ON OFFENSE but increase the size of the strike zone slightly." They can rip the ball with two strikes, and they don't get ripped for a K when trying to hit for offense.

Good luck!
VW

Agreed, there is a real difference beyond just the semantics. You can print out and use the scaled softball graphic of the strike/hitting zone that KnightSB made to reinforce their visual understanding. Its in the Visual Approach to the Strike Zone thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619