2 questions from past weekend?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
1. BR on 3rd leading off C throws down BR dives back. Throw is bad 3rd base is pulled toward foul territory. Ball goes down right field line. In an attempt to catch the ball 3rd base gets tangled with the base runner who is now back up and attempting to get home. Base ump calls obstruction. Right fielder gets ball throws home, run down ensues, goes back and forth for a few throws runner makes it back to third. I called time and asked to speak with the ump who tells me that once she gets back to 3rd that's it she can't be awarded home. He said had she gone home and been thrown out she would have been safe due to obs. I explain my understanding of the obs that I thought he could award home if he feels that absent the obs the runner would of scored? He tells me no once she achieved a base that was it? Not knowing for sure I concede and walk away.

2. Same ump as above same game. I'm coaching first runner on third 2 outs. BU is over near SS. Ball hit to SS. SS throws to 1b, 1b foot gets pulled from the bag as she stretches toward the throw. Foot is at least 6 inches off the bag, BU did not have an angle to see her pull her foot. Ball did beat the runner. BU says this specifically" Runner is out on the timing". I specifically request time out from PU who grants time and ask the BU for a word. I basically say that at his angle he couldn't see the 1b was off the base and ask him if he would check with the PU to see if he felt she pulled her foot? He then yells "Now i'm going to educate you" he goes on to say that because i didn't specifically request an appeal that his decision stands? Somewhat dumbfounded i explain that I specifically asked for TO from the PU, I specifically approached you to ask if you would check with the PU regarding 1b pulling her foot how is that not asking for an appeal? He states "I've never heard it asked that way, usually it's more direct? I said that's about as direct and specific as I could be. He still declines request I guess because I didn't use the word appeal?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I am sure that Comp or some of the other umpires can provide a more official response, but here is my $0.02, which is about all that it is worth.

1) Once obstruction is called, if the runner proceeds and is thrown out, the obstruction call will overrule it and she will be awarded the base. If she returns to the previous base it is like the obstruction never happened. I have seen it often when a runner rounds 1B and is obstructed by the F3. If she proceeds to second she will be safe regardless, but if she returns to 1B it will be as if it never happened. As the 1B coach you have to walk a fine line and make sure obstruction is called before sending the runner to 2B regardless.

2) Not sure what the official appeal process is, but I would think you would ask the PU for time out, then go to the BU to ask him to check with the PU to see if F3 had her foot pulled off the bag. It was awfully hot in Atlanta this weekend, so maybe your umpire was overly sensitive due to heat stroke.

Jun 22, 2008
#1 Im going to assume all your mention of right field is really left field. Regardless, the rule states pretty clearly once obstructed a runner cannot be put out between the 2 bases where obstructed. Returning to 3rd does not cancel obstruction, if the runner gets put out between 3rd and home, the ball is dead and the runner is to be awarded the base (or bases) they would have reached absent the obstruction. In this case it may have been 3rd, or it may have been home. It would depend on where the umpire judged. Obstruction is not canceled until 2 separate actions occur. 1, the obstructed runner must reach the base they would have absent the obstruction, AND 2, there must be a subsequent play on a different runner.

#2, What you are talking about is not an appeal play, it is simply asking the umpire to check with his partner to verify something he may not have seen. I have no idea in the world why his call would have included the "on the timing". I also dont know why he would tell you because you didnt ask for an appeal is call stands. Again, this is not an appeal, it is the coach asking an umpire to get with his partner on something he may not have seen.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Comp. Correct LF not RF. So in essence going back to 3b doesn't end the obs the runner still could have been awarded home provided ump believes she would have made it absent the obs.

2 was just a very odd encounter

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd