1st Tryout for my DD???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2013
USA
My Dd is 8 and will be trying out for her first travel team this coming weekend. The tryouts are for a 9u and 10u team. We have never been to a tryout before and we were looking for some hints and suggestions as to what will happen at the tryout.

I really don't think she is ready yet, but I'm going to take her to get the experience and to see what to expect the next time she tries out. She thinks she is ready so I'm going to take her.

I know it was coach pitch but in her first tourney she hit for the cycle, I played softball and baseball for over 15 years and never did that.

Thanks for any responses.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Our TB club has the girls start out playing catch with each other/warm up. Girls are separated into groups where they take grounders from 3B and SS. They alternate lines and one throws home, one throws to 1B.

Then girls are each hit about 5-10 fly balls each.

All girls go through 3 batting stations: hitting off a tee; side toss; pitching machine.

Prospective pitchers and catchers are observed doing their thing for about 20 minutes.

Good coaches will ask the girls to do something differently than they are already doing it. They are looking for the kids that are coachable.

Good attitude is vital.

Our HC said he also looks for good, stable, involved parents as well (probably even more-so at 10U).

Just my 2 cents, I'm sure a seasoned coach will give you better advice.

Apr 2, 2013
- GOOD ATTITUDE. Be positive. Pay attention. Listen to instructions. Dont stand there talking with other girls being distracted/distracting. No complaining.

At that age coaches look for kids that are coachable. They can teach and expand mechanics. They cant teach a hard working, positive work ethic.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Good attitude, work hard, pay attention and hustle...no lollygagging. :)

Not sure what to expect at 9U or 10U, but I imagine the following happens (in no order):

-warm ups - pairing off with another playing to throw. At this age, I believe they will see if they have proper basic mechanics for throwing.
-base running - timed from home to first...don't think they will do more than that but DD has been to tryouts where they will time home to home.
-infield drills - grounders to 1B, 2B, SS, 3B - may throw from 2B, SS, 3B to 1B
-outfield drills - pop ups, not sure what else...except outfield grounders maybe, throw to home or cutoff
-hitting - sometimes it's pitching machine, sometimes it's coach pitched

Jun 24, 2013
Just adding on to what the others have posted.

Hustle is a big thing.

I do not know your DD’s personality but she should have fun. If another player deserves it she should complement them.

I think I can only hurt my DD’s chances of making a Team so stay in the parking lot and away from the tryouts.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I'm in exactly the same boat as you. First "real" TB tryout this Saturday, not sure she's ready but she wants to try out. She was invited to join one team but it was pretty low level. She's 8 still going out for 10U teams. I told her not to worry at all, that she just has to be herself, focus and hustle and the rest will take care of itself. Dads like us just need to keep em loose and confident and enjoy the ride.

Apr 1, 2010
I'm going to echo what others are saying. Good attitude, hustle and coachability. Pay attention to the coaches. Be polite and positive toward everyone, but don't go over the top.

Wear softball pants and cleats. Don't show up in shorts, a halter top and tennis shoes ( or heaven forbid, flip flops ). Make sure she has all her equipment: glove, bat, helmet, a ball to warm up with and plenty of water. However, DO bring tennis shoes if they have an indoor facility.

Don't get caught being lazy, bad tempered, disruptive, flapping your gums, goofing off, etc. Even good kids have bad moments, but a tryout is not the time for them!

If she has the chance, dive for a ball. It's a rare youngster who'll get dirty to try to make a play. It will definitely get noticed.

I remembered something else: make sure she realizes that the tryout starts when your car pulls into the parking lot and doesn't end until you drive away. Coaches care about attitude and a smart one will be watching her when she doesn't realize she's "on". And she should try to be focussed during her warm-up throws, not lackadaisical, even if her throwing partner is far more casual.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
As others have said, be dress for a practice.

Make sure she hustles all the time. When they say to move to another station, don't walk over. Be friendly to the other kids, but don't be talking in line the whole time. Focus on what is going on. If she missed a ball, run after it like it's live unless they say to let it go.

If this is a huge tryout it's not as important, but if it's only 5 or 6 girls, you as a parent are trying out. It's a balancing act, but try and pay attention without giving the hint that you will smother her at practice. If both parents can attend it helps as travel coaches know that it takes a team to make this work with the kids.

One thing if possible I like to get there a little early and play catch with her before the others arrive. Most kids can play catch with dad or mom very well.

My final advice is to tell her to try and enjoy herself and just to her best. If she does that and knows you are proud of her either way she'll be much looser and play better. I think we sometimes think that travel ball players are on another level of play, but in my experience I see that most TB players just know how to play because of the practice and drills, but that a lot of rec ball players are equal in talent. (at least at 12u and below)

Jul 26, 2010
Biggest thing I would suggest is that she should understand the importance of standing out rather then fitting in. Most young ladies have an overwhelming desire to fit in and be part of the flock. Coaches are looking for the kids that stand out. Get her out of her comfort zone and go be a superhero.

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad