1st Pitch/Fastball 2nd Pitch/Changeup 3rd Pitch/?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
My dd just turned 14, we've worked fb and change for awhile, good location with both just, started on the curve. Starting to get some bend in it. Pumped her up, me too.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Instead of working on a specific pitch, most young pitchers are best served by just focusing on making the ball move. Gaining body awareness, fine motor skills and the ability to spin the ball however they want. If they can get to that point, the sky is the limit.

Nov 29, 2009
There is no magic one size all progression. Every pitcher is different. Assuming she has adequate control of both the FB/CU suggest she play with a few pitches and find the one that she is most naturally inclined to throw. Then move to master that so long as it is not at the expense of other pitches. It may be a crew, it could be something else. At 14 years old I worked with my DD to learn a traditional curve. She ended up with a rise and has never been able to master a traditional palm up curve.

My DD went FB, CU, Rise, Turn-Over Drop, Palm-up Curve, Screw. DD's rise was really good. Curve was outstanding. Screw was good. CU was spotty, deadly when she got it right. Could not get a real good break on the drop. It moved enough to keep the hitters honest, but it was never her GO TO when she wanted/needed a K.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
I agree, She still needs to work on taking some speed off the changeup. She has been begging me to learn a new pitch. I haven't gave in as of yet. Her pitching coach is suggesting that she learn a screwball. I have read mixed reviews. He thinks she is ready to move forward. I am not sold on the idea. But I am out numbered!!

My vote would be to make her C/U one of her go to pitches first. Don't miss this opportunity and ignore this pitch! Master a FB and C/U and then go on to the next as she has plenty of time. There are no short cuts on C/U's as it takes a lot of work and it's a pitch that you have to constantly work on.

If she has a knack for spinning the ball add a drop ball into the mix. As a side routine have her rip the seams to have her get used to how much effort she needs to get a good spin on the ball.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA