1ST BASE POSITIONING

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
For you coaches, I often see at young ages that the 1st base plays close to the bag no matter how many outs or who's on etc. I know in baseball you'll see the 1st base play well off the bag, close to the grass line, especially in 0 out situations, no body on, lefty vs righty hitter etc. Is it the same in fastpitch?

Jun 20, 2015
short answer is no. you show me a 1b playing behind the bag, and I'll show you even a medium speed runner dropping a bunt for a hit down 1b line.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
ADD
If firstbase playing behind baseline,
for back picks they would be comming in from behind the runner.
As throw comes from catcher.

Think there can be obstruction crossing in front of runner without the ball...

( too many rules changes obscure memory :) )

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2015
With LHBs still a rarety, the positioning of the 1B is way down my priority list when it comes to in-game management.

However, at 10U, I'm OK with her playing even or a step or two behind the bag with no one on. The slower the pitcher, the farther I'd have her off the line. If a 10U-C level player can drop a bunt down 1B line - my hat's off to them - she can have 1B. Bunting just isn't part of the game yet for us - it's more about being able to cover 1B than cover a bunt.

Mar 6, 2016
Being a long time baseball guy I move my 1B around in...out...guard lines..etc based on situation snd who is hitting.

Like previous post...its very rare at 14u or younger to have multiple girls who can bunt for base hit down 1B line. If its 2 outs my 1B is back behind 1B.

It drives me nuts when I watch other teams play 1B in ALL the time. Iv seen way more bloop pop ups or flares that drop in dirt behind 1B who is playing 2 steps in than a bunt for a hit. Easy 3rd out pop ups that should be caught drop in bcuz for some reason the 1b is "defending the bunt" by girls who never bunt. Makes no sense!

Positioning also depends on if 1B is lefty or righty. Righty can play more off bag.

Also...I love the back pick to 1B with 1B coming in from behind and "squeezing" in between the runner and the base. Very successful pick play. Especially when the 1B coach of other team has no clue...errr "has no experience" 😜 and is watching home plate and not my 1B.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018
My first base is slower, but has a great glove.... pitchers cover a lot that way on the bunt and 1st covers the line. Ideal position is two steps off the bag and slightly in front.

Where should a LH 1st base set up for a throw down from the catcher?
Left foot on the bag facing the catcher.

Nov 9, 2020
TY. How about when there is a runner on 1st and the C attempts a pick? Can you set up in foul territory for the throw? it seems like it would be easier for a LH but not sure you can do that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi