1st base glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
DD plays 3rd base and LOVES her Vinci glove she got a few months ago. Coach said he's keeping her at 3rd but wants her to learn another infield position. AC wants it to be SS but HC said it will probably be 1st. Does she need a first base glove if she likes her current Vinci? There is a good chance she will play 1st for varsity this year as the coach said he won't take his senior off 3rd since she's been there for 2 years already and doing a good job.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
She will be much better off starting out with her regular glove as a 1B mitt will seem awkward for those not used to it. I'd consider getting one only if it becomes a regular position for her and she has a chance to try one out beforehand.

Aug 8, 2010
Let her start out using her regular glove there and see how it works. Sometimes there really isn't a need in a 1B mitt, unless she uses a really small IF glove. Remind me which model we got her.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
If it is ASA, her mitt is legal. You would need to double check on the other associations. So, she does not necessarily need a different glove. Haha. I misread the entire post. Carry on.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Casedawg: My dd also plays 1B and I am considering buying her a Vinci in the next couple of years. She turns 11 tomorrow and is a tall girl for her age. She could use a 12.5" mitt now, but for some reason I keep telling myself to wait until she's almost full grown before I buy her a quality glove. Is that a mistake? Also, what recommendations do you have for me? She plays 2 positions: 1B and Pitcher. She's also LH. Is there a Vinci glove that she could use at both positions or do you recommend getting a 1B glove and something else for when she's in the circle? Thanks.

Aug 8, 2010
Oh yeah, that glove. It is big enough. Let her use it over at 1B, try it out. She may be fine with it or may not stick at the new position. Let her give it a shot before you buy another glove

Aug 8, 2010
My 10 and 11 year old both use our Limited Kip gloves, she is old enough for a higher level glove. I would get her a good glove for pitching and see how it transitions to 1B. According to how she does with it, you may be through buying. If you start with a new 1B mitt, you will definately buy two. The AB1974-L plays right at 12.5 and would be a good choice to excel at both spots. Shoot me a email and I can get you some pics. howell@syrupcity.net

Casedawg: My dd also plays 1B and I am considering buying her a Vinci in the next couple of years. She turns 11 tomorrow and is a tall girl for her age. She could use a 12.5" mitt now, but for some reason I keep telling myself to wait until she's almost full grown before I buy her a quality glove. Is that a mistake? Also, what recommendations do you have for me? She plays 2 positions: 1B and Pitcher. She's also LH. Is there a Vinci glove that she could use at both positions or do you recommend getting a 1B glove and something else for when she's in the circle? Thanks.

Aug 8, 2010
My 10 year old at 1B with a RV1961-L , which is the same frame as a AB1974-L but with a H-web instead of a Net T-web.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles