17 YO DD needs a new bat- looking for suggestions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
She is currently using a 32/24 DiMarini .375 (not made anymore). I got her a Synergy Speed that is 32"/23? and it doesn't seem to work for her. (she says it feels heavy). Doesn't get good pop with it but others seem to like it. she has tried her friends CF5 and doesn't like it because it's too light.(same 32" length, doesn't hit as far as her DiMarini). her 4 or 5 year old aluminum bat just works better, but it seems to be losing it's pop.

She was always a power hitter but, not so much anymore.

I'm just wondering if any of you have recommendations of other bats that may be worth a try. I also got her a used Rockettech but she hasn't had any great success with that either.

I know she needs to get more swings in as she is getting lazy in her old age, but I saw at least 2 instances where the CF5 turned mediocre hitters into power hitters and another instance where it turned a very good hitter into a great hitter. If I'm going to buy a bat, I'd love to achieve similar results. She was the DH on her HS team last year and I want for her to at least be able to do that again.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2011
Depends On The Day
... but I saw at least 2 instances where the CF5 turned mediocre hitters into power hitters and another instance where it turned a very good hitter into a great hitter. If I'm going to buy a bat, I'd love to achieve similar results. She was the DH on her HS team last year and I want for her to at least be able to do that again.

Hard work and confidence is more important than a bat

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
yeah, I know.
BUT...the Bat is a tool to get the job done and I'm looking to get the right tool for the job. I mention the extreme cases but I would like to find a bat that helps her feel good about what she's doing. Everyone has different preferences in bats, I'd just like to hear if anyone has recommendations other than what she has tried. I haven't been in the market for a new bat in a long time.
I don't need an iPhone but now that I have one, I see it has advantages that I would rather live with it than without it. If she finds a bat that works better than her current bat, then it will be worthwhile.

I'm not looking for a substitute for practice, just trying to help her out.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If buying a new bat was all it took to turn your DD from an average hitter into a power hitter, everyone would do it! Does she like an end loaded bat? I would suggest she try a 33/23 2013 Xeno. I have also seen some older Xeno's that were -9 or -8 once you get to 33".

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
That synergy and rt will both be endloaded, so yeah they will feel heavy to her. CF5s do feel light and a 32" is too small for most 17 yr olds. If I were you I would see if she could try a bigger cf5 like a 34/24, make her stick with it for a little while. It takes a few times to get used to how any bat feels.
If she is playing hs and not asa or such, I would look at older eastons like a scn1b-scn5b, you don't get any more pop then those.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thanks! I'll look into those! FWIW, she's maybe a half-inch over 5'-0" tall, so I see a 32" to 33" bat as being the right length for her, but who knows. There is a facility near us that will let her tryout DiMarinis before deciding on purchase.

thanks again!

Mar 29, 2012
If the problem with the 32/22 cf5 was that it was ti light (the regular cf5 do feel very light for their weight) you can just get a smaller drop. The cf5 come in -9 and -8 so you can go 32/23 or 32/24.

The cf5 insane or rockettech have great pop but are both endloaded. The regular cf5 (balanced) will probably have the most pop of any still in production balanced bat.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32