16U pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2010
First thing I noticed she is not pushing from the rubber but instead the dirt. I also feel that she expends a lot of energy with her pre-motion and overdoes the "stretch". She archs her back on her pre motion and that is not good.What bothers me most is that you have been working with her for several years and am not sure what pitch she is throwing in the video. JMO

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
I thought someone would question the pitch comment. Given this clip is from last May, I didn't tell her to throw a particular pitch, I didn't see the finish of the pitch and given the finish and the arm/finger action, I believe that what she threw but I didn't ask the person who threw it. She could have been trying something else and threw it badly. What advantages or disadvantages are there in arching or not arching her back? Is that style or an absolute? Why would a pitcher not want to split their feet as wide as legally possible to start their push? Does pushing off the rubber create more force than pushing off dirt? Ms Pauley seems to push off dirt in this clip. Sarah super slow motion single pitch.wmv - YouTube Just wondering. I was really more interested in any comment on the actual pitching motion from circle start to finish. Any timing, posture, arm position, body angles, loading and unloading,release point, etc issues that anyone sees that would help her accuracy or speed? I know it is just one clip but it is typical of her motion.

Aug 19, 2011
For the pre-motion, and perhaps the experts will forgive me for speaking out of turn, you want the weight to go back so it has more momentum going forward. When you arch your back, it may feel like going back but your center of gravity actually shifts forward. Everything with this clip stays forward of the rubber so there isn't as much room to generate forward momentum, which, when stopped suddenly, generates energy for the pitch. There doesn't look like there's a lot of that in this motion. Regarding Ms. Pauley, it's always looked like a pretty pronounced hop in that clip. She may get away with it, but I wouldn't use that as an example. I would teach foot on the rubber, otherwise when you get the umpire who thinks her foot loses contact you'll have to adjust.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Since you haven't had many say anything..Here is my 2 pennies worth.
She looks pretty smooth over all to me.
The things that stick out to me are.
1. Wings the glove side alot and very early. Look at the 9 oclock position...can't even see her upper left arm as its already winged.
2. Her pivot foot is on the right side of the rubber and she strides with the left foot WAY left of the powerline. That has to be near a foot of striding left. I would have her line the right foot on a powerline and keep within inches of it with the stride leg/foot.
3. Her stride foot lands WAY closed. Look at the position her left hip, knee and foot are in at release. This has to be very hard on the hip and knee. I would want her to open her foot more around 45 degrees.

I would think she would get more power and a stronger front side resistance. If not...she would at least keep herself from injuring the hip or knee. JMO

Jul 21, 2008
Overall she looks really good....a couple of things to improve on.

1)Lot of wasted energy in the premotion

2) Hard to tell from this video but it looks like she is stepping left of the powerline. I'm basing this off of where her right foot is on the rubber and she steps almost in the grass with stride foot.

3) Drag foot....she is dragging the side of the foot should be on top of toe or close to it.

Apr 27, 2009
Bears me repeating, but:

I would remove or reduce the over the head portion of the pre-motion. As an example, Kenzie Fowler is simplifying her motion, due to injury.

I would stop leaning on the left foot, which is causing a gym step off the mound, or some might call it a replant. I would hide the ball earlier and longer. I also see a head lean which I would not have mentioned except we have an imbalance thread where a mom mentioned issues...

Some of these things are giving the batter an extra view and extra time to see the ball.

Do our favorite stork drill for this. The lining up may just take care of itself this way (fixing head too). Also this may relax the drag foot so it hangs after push off.

Her front foot is too far off the rubber for pushing off.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2011
Bears me repeating, but:

I would remove or reduce the over the head portion of the pre-motion. As an example, Kenzie Fowler is simplifying her motion, due to injury.

I would stop leaning on the left foot, which is causing a gym step off the mound, or some might call it a replant. I would hide the ball earlier and longer. I also see a head lean which I would not have mentioned except we have an imbalance thread where a mom mentioned issues...

Some of these things are giving the batter an extra view and extra time to see the ball.

Do our favorite stork drill for this. The lining up may just take care of itself this way (fixing head too). Also this may relax the drag foot so it hangs after push off.

Her front foot is too far off the rubber for pushing off.

I hope this isn't too much of a hijack, but would you mind detailing how an overhead windup contributes to shoulder injury? I see it very often. My own dd does it and I try to reduce it, but she says it helps her rhythm.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I agree with those that are saying to eliminate the pre-motion that causes the shoulders to arch back, with the ball high. This is engaging the shoulder or using it twice for every pitch. It does nothing to speed up the windmill. I speak from experience. My DD did that and had injured her shoulder bY the time she was 16. The sports doc said absolutely no more pitching.

I was hoping that once she put the ball in the glove, at her side, that she just windmilled from there. The motion should be as simple and easy as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes