15 y/o DD Swing Help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2013

From looking at it frame by frame I can see that she is letting her elbow get ahead of her hands. She is also not finishing with a full extension of her arms. She doesn't like to stride and seems to pre load? I'd love to get any advice from you guys here. I'll try to get video of some tee work later on.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Its a different type of swing.
I like her bat speed
How is her ball flight, How does she hit the ball and where.

Are you looking for more power? Does she have long fly outs? Does she hit most of them to the left side of the field, fair and foul?

SL

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2013
She pulls a lot of pitches. Against live pitching she seems to miss under the ball. Pop ups to the grass or just beyond. She had a huge problem with dropping her hands(maybe she's dipping her back shoulder?), but we've been working on it. I swear there's a loop in her swing. When she connects she hits line drives. She has hit the top of the fence a few times this year and I know she can hit it out. I don't want to start messing up her swing if I'm not seeing the right things.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Pretty much what I said about her ball flight is what you just told me happens.
If I worked with her I would change allot of things in her swing. Hand path, weight shift would be 2 big ones.

She probably hits line drives when she does not collapse the back leg so much. Her back leg folds underneath her body, causing those pop ups.

If I did just one thing to her swing it would be on the back leg using it different than doing a bug squish.

SL

Mar 28, 2013

This is a video from a few minutes ago doing front toss. As you can see it looks completely different. She was watching videos earlier today and apparently the first video I posted is her emulating what she saw. I've just begun taping her so I didn't really notice what she was doing. Please ignore the back of the house. I am always working on something around here.

R

RayR

Where is the bug squish?

angelagif.gif

Don't screw with the back leg.

angelacropped.gif

But, there is something that needs to be improved in the above clip. While the attempt to turn the barrel is there - she is not using her back to stretch away from the pitch so when she turns the barrel the stretch cannot get fired - so the barrel dumps out of plane.

In simple terms - have her twist rearward with her back muscles as her rear leg tries to twist forward. Have her think that she needs to stay behind the rear leg instead of the hands and rear knee going at the same time - like twisting a pickle jar open - the back is the lid and the rear leg is the jar - eventually the lid releases the jar....

Pretty much what I said about her ball flight is what you just told me happens.
If I worked with her I would change allot of things in her swing. Hand path, weight shift would be 2 big ones.

She probably hits line drives when she does not collapse the back leg so much. Her back leg folds underneath her body, causing those pop ups.

If I did just one thing to her swing it would be on the back leg using it different than doing a bug squish.

SL

Mar 28, 2013
Would that turn come as the knob is pointing at the pitch therefore keeping it on plane? She's allowing the barrel turn to go too far? I noticed that she's allowing the top hands'elbow to move in front of her and past her hands. If she slots that elbow into her ribs would that help stop the barrel dump?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Where is the bug squish?

angelagif.gif

Don't screw with the back leg.

angelacropped.gif

But, there is something that needs to be improved in the above clip. While the attempt to turn the barrel is there - she is not using her back to stretch away from the pitch so when she turns the barrel the stretch cannot get fired - so the barrel dumps out of plane.

In simple terms - have her twist rearward with her back muscles as her rear leg tries to twist forward. Have her think that she needs to stay behind the rear leg instead of the hands and rear knee going at the same time - like twisting a pickle jar open - the back is the lid and the rear leg is the jar - eventually the lid releases the jar....

Another lets turn the barrel to fix this, or you need to turn it different, or better yet your turning it at the wrong time....good luck with that

Remember I did tell you her ball flight in games by watching 3 dry swings on a computer:D

SL

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2013
Straightleg I read that entire thread you are talking about. I'm not going to let it get to that. I have read many different opinions from O'Leary, yourself, Epstein, Steve Huff, RayR, and many others on this subject. I try to take all advice into consideration. I appreciate the help and comments from everyone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad