14U Team Playing in a College Showcase - is it worth it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Interested in some thoughts. We were invited to play in one this summer. I thought it would be a good experience for my players, even though the majority will not be recruited and probably won't get a single look. I do have one player who will get legitimate interest. Is it worth it for the one player? Like I said, we are playing because we thought it would be a good experience, and my players will get a chance to see some really good players in the older divisions. But is it really worth it?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
You ask if it is worth it but you did not mention the cost. Also how good a showcase is it? Is it local. I think you mentioned previously you are in Eastern PA, are you possibly going to Team NJ in Edison? Bottom line is that if your team can hold their own and it is not costing you an arm and leg you should probably do it. College Showcases are very different. How you play, the pitch calling, the fielding, the hitting all changes at a showcase. Good idea to gain some experience before it really counts, and you never know what may happen. :)

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD's 14U team made a trip to CT for the Conn USA Elite Showcase. We mostly played the 18U teams that couldn't get on the main fields. They held their own in some games and others it was a learning experience of what was to come. We took away an idea of what we needed to work on going into the fall at 18U.

As for looks, none of the kids had emailed any coaches and any coaches that did stop by would see we were a 14U team and pretty much keep going.

Mar 6, 2009
My team played in a couple Midwestern showcases this past fall at 14U and I would have to say it was worth it. It forces them and you to get their resume/profiles updated. It forces them to dream a little bit. I also believe it forces people to begin to self evaluate their own game and productivity. We participated in 3 showcase events and 1 college team experience. Each were a positive to all the players.

Jun 24, 2013
If you can be completive, I think it would be a good experience. Doesn’t mean you need to win, but not get destroyed every game.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
One benefit of an exposure tournament for 14Us is that your players can see what's out there as far as other players and teams and decide if they want to continue or change the course they are on.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My $0.02.....showcases are BIG money makers for tournament organizers, and some showcases have added 14U divisions to make even more $$$!!! Players in the top 0.05% will get some looks at 14U, but most college athlete will not get any serious looks until 16U - typically when a player enters high school. If the showcase is local I think it could be a good experience for your players, but if you have to add overnight travel expenses to play it is probably not worth it IMHO. Each player would be better served spending their money to attend camps of schools they are interested in.

Dec 18, 2009
Sidney Ohio
Agree for most part with waht everyone has said, how I'd piece it together:

1) Discuss with girls and families what their 'dreams and goals' are...if majority of the answers don't include college ball, move on.

2) If dreams or goals include college, then weigh what schools would attend. Are these schools that may be future interests for your players, or not?

3) Weigh the tournament investment vs schools and what your team may get out of it...some are VERY expensive, others are not. Seen 'Exposure' tournaments with entry fees above $1,000 that really aren't a big benefit for our team...but will play in one this summer with an entry fee near $500 that will have a large qty of coaches, and just about every school my girls could reallistically dream of playing for.

4) At 14u, they are making the jump from middle school ball to HS. College is still a dream, but most of what each player needs to prepare for starts NOW! Time to drill the importance of grades, what college coaches look for, and what they need to do when recruitment gets heavier for most - during 16u. Doesn't hurt to get a 'taste' of what they need to do now...

Simply put, shop and make sure your getting the bang for your buck as far as tournaments...but in short, YES - its a good idea to play showcase at 14u! (unless you have a team with little to no future aspirations!)

Oct 18, 2009
What are the goals of the players on this team? Do most want to play in college?

Generally speaking, if your team has the pitching to compete and you don't have to travel too far then I'd say its worth it. It will likely have better competition than most 14u tournaments you may enter in your region. I imagine local coaches may attend this tournament so if any of your players are interested in playing for any local schools it may be a nice way to introduce them to the process of reaching out to coaches via email and letting them know they are interested and will be at the tournament... etc etc

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Thanks for the input everyone. It's a local showcase, 6 games with 2 on the main complex, with a reasonable registration fee. It's the first year they are having a 14U division, so it seemed like a good opportunity. Most of my players are focused more on the immediate goal of making the HS varsity, but I have one who has D1 aspirations and has a legitimate shot, so I think it is going to be worth it. I just wanted to know if there is a downside to participating so young.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi