14U team DQ'ed at LL World Series for social media post

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
I guess I'm way way old school because I think that if your kid thinks that's a good idea then you have been too lenient in your parenting.

Very noble thinking, however, some of the worst actors have been raised by the strictest, most loving parents one can find. It's not that uncommon.

Jun 11, 2013
Any parent who thinks their kid couldn’t, wouldn’t or hasn’t done something equally as stupid is kidding themselves.

I would add that many of us likely did something stupid in our teenage years. That doesn't excuse the kids behavior, but people acting like they are awful human
beings with bad parents and coaches based on this incident is a little extreme.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Said my piece earlier and DD would not do this but she would not be grounded for the rest of her life if she did.

Someone mentioned a few posts back the HC was not happy, good for them. (Before it became a big issue)

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
One thing that bothers me is my DW will sometimes tell my kids the stories I told her about my wild teenage years.

BIG mistake.

Now when my kids misbehave, they can point out that I've done far, far more stupid things.

Oct 16, 2014
What caliber of teams are involved in this tournament? Is this more like a rec all star team championship?

When the article stated the "Best teams in the world." were there. I went huh??? That's why.

The best 14u teams are playing PGF this week not LLWS.

This is a team of some very solid players. They are the same age as my DD and yes it's a little league World Series but don't let the name fool you they are all seasoned travel ball players that play LL in Spring in order to go to the World Series. When my DD was 10 (3 +years ago) we played with them in the Virginia LL State Championship games. My DD's team was solid as well, ended up placing 3rd in the state while Atlee went and obliterated all teams. When my DD's team was eliminated in finals which was a close and heated game, Atlee was waiting to play the winner of our game. When our girls walked out of the dugout they said "good luck, beat those guys" and Altlee was so sure they would they replied with a casual "we got this". This team could probably easily hang and PGF Nationals, not all teams are looking for that experience at 12-14 years old.
Now them being a good team has nothing to do with their sportsmanship, and I will say that this was a little embarrassing for us Virginians and it does not represent how all our teams conduct themselves. It was a bad decision on their part. I've found over the many years of being involved in Travel softball that sometimes heated competition brings out the worst in some people and in the heat of the moment is where bad regrettable decisions are made.

Nov 18, 2013
This is a team of some very solid players. They are the same age as my DD and yes it's a little league World Series but don't let the name fool you they are all seasoned travel ball players that play LL in Spring in order to go to the World Series. When my DD was 10 (3 +years ago) we played with them in the Virginia LL State Championship games. My DD's team was solid as well, ended up placing 3rd in the state while Atlee went and obliterated all teams. When my DD's team was eliminated in finals which was a close and heated game, Atlee was waiting to play the winner of our game. When our girls walked out of the dugout they said "good luck, beat those guys" and Altlee was so sure they would they replied with a casual "we got this". This team could probably easily hang and PGF Nationals, not all teams are looking for that experience at 12-14 years old.
Now them being a good team has nothing to do with their sportsmanship, and I will say that this was a little embarrassing for us Virginians and it does not represent how all our teams conduct themselves. It was a bad decision on their part. I've found over the many years of being involved in Travel softball that sometimes heated competition brings out the worst in some people and in the heat of the moment is where bad regrettable decisions are made.

Atlee and Kirkland are probably very good teams. The article stated "the event is for the best teams in the world" and that's just not true.

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
Terrible overreaction to decidedly unsportsmanlike behaviour.

What happens when you give people of marginal intelligence too much power.

Oct 16, 2014
Atlee and Kirkland are probably very good teams. The article stated "the event is for the best teams in the world" and that's just not true.

In "Little League" perhaps they are . It's a little league tournament not a travel/showcase tournament

Feb 7, 2013
It's kinda a joke to have travel ball teams come back to Little League (rec league) for the spring just so they can go trophy hunting against inferior competition. We had something similar happen in ASA "B" 10U all-stars one year. A bunch of very good players from travel ball teams from different areas decided to join a local rec league in the spring to be eligible for summer all-stars, displacing the regular players who had been with the rec program for many years. This "super team" ended up going undefeated in 6 tournaments including Districts, State, and Western Nationals when they should have been playing "A" level travel ball.

Nov 18, 2013
In "Little League" perhaps they are . It's a little league tournament not a travel/showcase tournament

Exactly correct. The article left that part out though and just said they're the best in the world. 99% of the population doesn't know or care about the difference so it's not a big deal for the article. For travel softball people it's a pretty big omission.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06