14U team DQ'ed at LL World Series for social media post

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2013
Little League has a specific rule:

"The stealing and relaying of signs to alert the batter of pitch selection and/or location is unsportsmanlike behavior. If, in the judgment of the umpire, this behavior is occurring, both the player and the manager may be ejected from the game."

Also have specific rules concerning everyone getting playing time.

I was told by an umpire that is a NFHS rule as well. I believe he said the initial punishment was a warning. Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

Jun 22, 2008
I was told by an umpire that is a NFHS rule as well. I believe he said the initial punishment was a warning. Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

No such rule in nfhs unless it's a new one being added and I haven't seen it mentioned in the rule.changes.

Dec 4, 2013
No such rule in nfhs unless it's a new one being added and I haven't seen it mentioned in the rule.changes.

Thanks Comp. I couldn't find it either. Maybe the ump does little league as well and had it confused.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I'm a little confused as to why people feel the need to point out that there are better teams. Is the point that unless it's the PGF or ASA nationals it doesn't matter?

I assure you that when I asked the question in regards to what level of play this was had nothing to do with me pointing out that there are better teams. The reason I asked was because I was on the watchespn website looking up available softball games and one of the games that was available to watch was the Poland, Ohio vs. Kirkland, Washington. The Kirkland team team is the team that is involved in what happened.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I assure you that when I asked the question in regards to what level of play this was had nothing to do with me pointing out that there are better teams. The reason I asked was because I was on the watchespn website looking up available softball games and one of the games that was available to watch was the Poland, Ohio vs. Kirkland, Washington. The Kirkland team team is the team that is involved in what happened.

I was curious and taped the game and watched less than a full inning- one P threw HE, other was sorta IR; the overall level of play was meh imo

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I'm still waiting to see the crime.

BTW, only one player made a mistake, the one who was dumb enough to post it on snapchat

Oct 19, 2009
IMO one needs to accept the fact that actions have consequences. I know in travel ball, high school and college stealing signs is pretty much routine, a good coach can use it to their advantage.

I think this is a good lesson for many kids that posting negative gestures, comments or thoughts on social media. DON'T DO IT! :(

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
I'm still waiting to see the crime.

BTW, only one player made a mistake, the one who was dumb enough to post it on snapchat

Don't think that actual picture should be shared here, but if you want to see it it is easily googled. Not super egregious (6 or so players giving the finger with a caption "Watch out host") IMO, but definitely not in the spirit of LL. Should the team have been DQ'd? Knowing how sensitive LL is, that was probably the only decision they could make. That said, awarding the WA team a spot in the final, especially after their ejections in the semi-final game, was NOT the right decision. OH team should have been awarded the victory...was very glad to see them win it decisively.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
"An open letter to Atlee Softball Players: DQ'd for inappropriate behavior at the Little League World Series:

You and I have a lot in common:
You don’t know me, but I am a huge softball fan. You probably think there is no way I could understand your pain, but I do, because I too have been a national embarrassment to my family, team, school, community, association and sport.
You-Inappropriate behavior (the FU sign) in the dugout, during post game.
Me-inappropriate behavior (tossed a trophy) in the dugout, during post game.

You and I have a lot in common:
I know how angry, disappointed and embarrassed you are. I know how gut wrenching these consequences are. I know you naturally want to tell the world you are good people who love the game. I understand you will want to explain what happened and what led up to it. Yikes, I know that makes your stomach turn over thinking that’s what is happening to you, right now, in this moment.
Having said that, I want you to know something, if you show remorse (even though you feel you were treated poorly), accountability (stay focused on your mistake and not that others get away with worse) and improved future behavior (you know this isn’t who you are, you know you will never let this happen again) it ends up being a GREAT learning experience and part of your story of leadership growth. I know you don’t want to hear that now, but it may get you through your long days with your friends who want the scoop: “What happened?”

Below I hope these 5 suggestions can help you during this difficult time, because you and I have a lot in common:

1. Great people/players don’t justify or deflect their mistakes. They own it and move on. I have total confidence you can do this! I don’t know you, but I believe in you.
2. Great people/players use their failure experience as part of their story to teach others, especially younger ones. Even though you are young, you are a role model for many. Use your story to teach others what you have learned. Be a big sister who knows the right way. I have total confidence you can do this! I don’t know you but I believe in you.
3. Possess the confidence in these embarrassing times, to share you know you have a pattern of good behavior, you are a good girl, who had a lapse in judgement. Trust me, this doesn’t define you or taint you for life unless you become the “Not my fault girl.” (by the way, college coaches can’t stand that “Not my fault girl”).
4. High schools, colleges and the global work force aren’t asking for PERFECT people, they are asking for hard workers, with a positive attitude and GREAT FAILURE RECOVERY SYSTEM (AKA: own your mistake and move on: don’t stay stuck in your junk).
5. Last and equally important: You will learn the sport of softball is ONE big family. You will learn many of your softball big sisters: College players, National Team Players, Olympians and National Pro Players have a story to tell about failure, accountability, and recovery. We have done some stupid stuff too. We have your back. WE STILL BELIEVE IN YOU if you show remorse, accountability and good failure recovery. It will all work out.

In summary, You and I have a lot in common
You: Signed on to being on a TEAM and agreed to be a part of a big brand called: LITTLE LEAGUE. You learned the consequences of not complying with high standards. I hope you learn that HOW you behave is VALUED MORE to LITTLE LEAGUE than access to competing for a championship
Me: I played & coached on a TEAM and agreed to be a part of a big brand called: UCLA.
I learned the consequences of not complying with high standards. I learned HOW I behave is valued MORE to UCLA than the opportunity to win a game or championship.

You will learn: Who your true friends are during this time. Remember you need your family and a close inner circle that is it. Don’t listen to the noise out there. Own it and move on.
I learned: My family and inner circle will always be there for me. To hold me accountable and get me through tough times. The same will happen for you.

You will learn: Little League, has a proven record of doing the right thing. They uphold high standards by their swift decision. I believe they will continue the investigation so all parties are held accountable, having said that, stay focused on your error in judgement, how you can show remorse, own it and move on because you can control all those things. Control the controllables and you will have greater peace of mind during this crazy time.

I hope you stay in the game a long time. It’s a wonderful community who will hold you accountable and equally important-have your back in good and bad times!
Good Luck,
Always in your back pocket, if you need me.
Coach Enquist
Softball Fan"

https://www.facebook.com/sue.enquist.3/posts/1601749229864959

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
IMO one needs to accept the fact that actions have consequences. I know in travel ball, high school and college stealing signs is pretty much routine, a good coach can use it to their advantage.

I think this is a good lesson for many kids that posting negative gestures, comments or thoughts on social media. DON'T DO IT! :(

If DD wants to complain about umps, fields, other Team in general, etc. I do not see the harm.

She can complain about her Team and coaches at her own risk. I do not think she has.

She can not name a minor on other Team by name.

Everyone has their own lines, not doing it at all works for me too but do not see the harm.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez