14U team DQ'ed at LL World Series for social media post

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
I'm a little confused as to why people feel the need to point out that there are better teams. Is the point that unless it's the PGF or ASA nationals it doesn't matter?

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I have very mixed feelings about this.

On one hand, I think the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

OTOH, people (not just kids) need to learn that the on-line world is a very unforgiving place. Way too unforgiving IMO, but I don't make the rules. I don't decide that someone who posts a stupid tweet gets tracked down and people pressure their companies to fire them. I don't decide that employers or colleges will withhold or even rescind offers based on online activity. I don't decide that people who kneel for the national anthem get blackballed in certain sports.

I tried to make this a teachable moment for DD 3, about the same age as some of these kids. She just said: "Dad, I'm not stupid", with all the complete certainty of a teenage girl.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
From what I read, the Kirkland team was caught stealing signs from 2nd base and relaying them to the batter. That is why the player and coach were ejected. Atlee still won the game 1-0 and the Atlee girls were just giving the Kirkland team the freedom finger to say you cheated and we still beat you. I think the punishment was a little rough for the crime. Then you award the team that was cheating in the first place by giving them the win? I don't get that decision.

Blatantly stealing signs is bush league, but to the best of my knowledge is not illegal, so why would an umpire eject a player and coach for doing it? I see runners on 2B trying to tip pitch location all the time.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
Neither coach was making it hard to pick their signs. They were in plan sight. The pitchers sequence was very predictable just the batters weren't adjusting. It was a totally bogus call by the umpire.

BTW, the picture was taken before the game. Sort of sad as their infield was really good and fun to watch.

Dec 15, 2012
Little League has a specific rule:

"The stealing and relaying of signs to alert the batter of pitch selection and/or location is unsportsmanlike behavior. If, in the judgment of the umpire, this behavior is occurring, both the player and the manager may be ejected from the game."

Also have specific rules concerning everyone getting playing time.

Dec 15, 2012
Little League has a specific rule:

"The stealing and relaying of signs to alert the batter of pitch selection and/or location is unsportsmanlike behavior. If, in the judgment of the umpire, this behavior is occurring, both the player and the manager may be ejected from the game."

Also have specific rules concerning everyone getting playing time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00