14U team DQ'ed at LL World Series for social media post

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Official LL tournaments have a unique set of rules. This is from the LL Tournament Rules and Guidelines:

The Tournament Committee also reserves the right in its sole discretion to impose any of the above penalties if, in its judgment, any player, manager or coach displays unsportsmanlike conduct or repeatedly/willfully violates any rules, regulations or policies contained herein during the game, at the game site or at any event related to the International Tournament.

The penalties include suspension or removal of personnel or teams from further Little League activities.

So, the Tournament Committee can suspend a team even if only one player displays unsportsmanlike conduct.

It is an unfortunate situation...

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
Even if they removed the offending players it would have left the team without enough players to play a game. The team was in a no-win situation. And LL was not going to back down from sportsmanship rules.

The penalty was harsh for the players who did not participate in the photo. And it goes to show what we tell the kids all the time. Think before you post stupid crap on the web. It never goes away.

Could you imagine if the entire team was punished after the Fagan fiasco?

Jul 5, 2016
Two-fold:

1) A public service announcement in which they admit and own what they've done regardless of why they posted the pic.

2) If they had happened to go on and win the title game, they should forfeit the 1st-place trophy.

Obviously, none of us were there, but if the one team felt the other team was cheating, it's reasonable to expect that some of them would want to respond to it. With the she said/she said going on, this comes off like one of those common NFL debacles where the guy who retaliates is the one who gets hit with the 15-yard penalty, while the original offender gets away with it.

With all due respect to Coach Enquist, who wrote an amazing letter, and to the others who support LL's decision, you got this one wrong. Does it still become a cautionary tale? Yes, of course it does. But I would rather have seen a contrite group of young women standing up to help teach their peers and the girls who look up to them how to better handle themselves off the field when things don't (or do) go their way on the field than to see some authoritarian individual or body rendering judgment from on high and meting out the harshest penalty possible with no opportunity for an appeal or for the offenders even to speak on their own behalf in a fair hearing.

I'm not trying to be political here and I know we are not in a court of law, but it's my belief that sportsmanship and due process should go hand-in-hand. I also do not believe that society benefits from focusing so much on punitive responses every time someone is offended. Yes, I believe there should be consequence, but when it's possible, that consequence should be a value-add.

Also, after the recent presidential election, you might understand why some kids are confused as to what constitutes proper behavior.

Apr 28, 2014
Also, after the recent presidential election, you might understand why some kids are confused as to what constitutes proper behavior.

I know... taking sledge hammers to federal phones and computers would normally not be in the best interest of the country. Today, all bets are off.

Dec 11, 2010

Great point! But what came first, social media or knucklehead candidates?

Coach told DD's team last week that social media can never earn a single scholarship dollar but it can cost you a scholarship....

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
All these excuses for why the little brats should not have gotten tossed. And people wonder why IP's are not enforced. Play by the rules, respect the game or be gone!

May 4, 2016
I think what helps best is when "grown" adults insult kids. That surely teaches the right lessons.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red