14u....Gold A players playing in C rec league

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2009
I'm gonna tell you what happened. And I would appreciate you're input.
Here's what happened:

Our league is considerd class D by ASA but class C by our county. Don't ask how that works out, but that's what it is. A team in our rec league has a very interesting roster. 7 of the players play for a Gold A tournament team in the next county. Have I said they are Gold A players? The county commissioner has said that unfourtunetly this is legal. They are allowed to play for whoever they want, but when it comes to tournaments they must only play Gold A teams. That's great and all. With about 12 teams in our league, anywhere from one-fourth to a half of the girls on each team are new to softball. And now they are told to play against Gold A girls. Doesn't this seem unfair? No one is angry at the players. It's not really their fault. The coach purposely stacked his team. We found out that this coach is no longer permitted to coach girls soccer. Why? Because even if the girl is injured, his philosophy is "too bad. you're one of the best players. Go play". He doesn't even care about his own daughter. All he wants is to call himself a champion. The season ends around late June. So we have to deal with this until then. This is my last year to play in this league. Around here, softball isn't really accepted. And after looking at this situation......I'm not surprised. Why do people like this have to ruin everything? Next year rules will be put in place to try to help prevent this from happening again.

May 25, 2010
Why don't you have an open draft? If the Gold A players want to be in the league, fine, but everyone has a shot at selecting them. They don't all get to go play on the same team just because they showed up together. That's just bs.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
There definitely needs to be some sort of open draft or randomizing of the rosters. It's almost dangerous for a new player to be playing against a Gold player. They are going to get up there and knock the snot out of the ball, which could hurt someone who is new to softball. I hope you have a per inning limit on runs or when playing this team, it could get ugly.

Dec 15, 2009
what happens is that the returning players go to their respected teams. and the coaches hold sign ups to fill out the rest of the roster. This coach had sign ups, but only took a few of them. then he went out and talked to players about joining his team. They are all Gold players. I don't know if the Gold players knew this was happening, but the coach deffinetly knew what he was doing. And there are no run rules except 15 in the 3rd and 10 in the 5th.

Mar 15, 2010
ASA SoCal has somewhat addressed this situation in the yellow book by limiting All-Star teams to no more than 4 TB players. This doesn't prevent certain leagues from using this rule and having ace TB pitchers and catchers/infielders/power hitters on the roster and then dominating the tournament circuit. It does, however, even the playing field by allowing every team the same opportunity to add the same number of TB players to their roster. Below is the specific rule:

A team shall not have more than four players who participated with a travel type team at any time after February 1 of the current year.

http://www.socal-asa.com/jo/forms/YellowBook.pdf

Dec 15, 2009
SoCalDad - thanks. but i'm not sure that a rule like that is around here unfortunetly.

Tonight we play this team. I'm really anxious and kind of nervous. I know I'm pitching. And for some reason when the coach said to me "you are pitching whether we are getting slaughtered or killing them", didn't make me feel better. All of the teams are rooting for us to win. The coach made it clear last night about the situation we will be in. He ended the team talk with a powerful statement that sticks with me: "Right now, there are 2 undefeated teams. After the game tomorrow night there will only be one undefeated team. and only you, as a team, have the power to decide who stays undefeated. They are a good team, but so are we. according to their past games, they killed 3 teams and barely won against 1 team. We killed 3 teams and barely won against 1 team. The potential to win is here." The game starts at 7 and i'm soaking up every last bit of information i can get that can help us.

Dec 15, 2009
Just thought I'd keep ya'll updated.

Last night we played the team. In the 6th inning it got called for lightning. They are winning 3-1. I am so proud of my team. I had to pitch the whole game, where the other team had almost 5 pitchers and therefore could keep their pitchers fresh. We were doing really good. The game won't be finished until the end of the season. If one of the 2 teams needs the game in order to go to play offs then we will play the game. If both teams are high seeds in the play offs then we will give the win and hopefully face them again in the championship game :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06