14u Fastpitch Bat swing Tip or Comments

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
For one swing it looks pretty good. Probably not optimum but it is 13U actual game footage. Was it caught or did it carry past the outfielders? Is there something specific you are concerned about with her swing and is she at the top of the team in power and average?

Mar 5, 2010
I can always post more swings, this one was during her most recent game, so I felt it was the most accurate. To answer your questions, the ball was caught by the center fielder. She doesn't have a lot of power in my opinion. She bats lead-off for her team. And about her swing. I don't know if she is opening her hips to early, or something else. She's just not consistently making contact with the ball.

She leading with her back elbow which is caused by the front arm baring pushing her hands away from her body as she is rotating. Just from watching that clip she can't hit an inside pitch because of her hands pushing away from her body. In the video u can see she got jammed by an inside pitch.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
She leading with her back elbow

The reverse hand drill described on another thread here can reveal a great deal about the swing. look at the power and ball trajectory created by the girl demonstrating the drill. Bbserve her rotation and relationship between her elbows. Try the drill and see what that shows you.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio

Very common girls swing. Her upper body alittle ahead of the lower body. Like in a previous post arms leaving the body
I still work with mine to lead with the hips.

You could try the reverse arm drill. That is my daughter. Try to keep lead arm closer to chest on rotation and see what it looks like.
I think you could use a high tee and have her hit line drives. That will give her the feel of keeping the hands higher in the swing.. If she drops her hands, she will knock the tee over.
Put the tee on a bucket and ball at the top of the stike zone.

Maybe some video of some high tee hits and some reverse hand swings.

Good Luck

Straightleg

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I agree with most posted above. I would add to the reverse hand drill, I think she her grip is causing some of the issue. I tried to stop it a few times but read Hitters posts on grip and also on position in the box. At 13U this won't be much of an issue, but as soon as she goes against elite pitching and faces a rise ball she is in trouble.

Oct 12, 2009
I can always post more swings, this one was during her most recent game, so I felt it was the most accurate. To answer your questions, the ball was caught by the center fielder. She doesn't have a lot of power in my opinion. She bats lead-off for her team. And about her swing. I don't know if she is opening her hips to early, or something else. She's just not consistently making contact with the ball.

She's got a problem with bat drag, which is pretty common.

Mar 5, 2010
Thanks everyone for all the great tips, and to answer your. This was taken in Willimsport, Pa. in The Dome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi