14U ASA/USA nationals in Normal, IL

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We played in the 14U ASA nationals last year and it seemed like there were a lot more 1-0 and 2-1 games in that tournament. I remembered the pitching being more dominant and then it hit me - I think the change to 43 feet at 14U in ASA this year really made a huge difference.

Great point! I am so used to playing at 43 ft now, that I almost forgot about playing at 40 ft last year. A 60 MPH pitch from 43 feet is similar to an 84 MPH fastball in baseball, while a 60 MPH pitch from 40 feet is similar to a 91 MPH fastball......

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
It was a great experience for me and my DD as well. For us the weather was awesome!!!! Mid 70's in the daytime and 60's at night. What a great break from the 100 plus days we have now in Texas. The facilities were great! A couple loops around town and it was very easy to navigate to the different fields.
I didn't get a chance to meet the other DFP'ers but... talk about great timing as I walked up on the Renegades and watched 29'sdad's DD drop a bomb over the left field fence. I can still see Her turning on that low inside fast ball and then I heard the POP. Next thing I heard was Dad saying "stay fair.. stay fairrrr"..... and that's the first one She's hit since early in the season. Awesome. I'm glad She hit another before it was all over. Your family is a class act. Remember, home runs are like slaps shots! :)
I'm adding a pic I shot at the high school we played at the first day of bracket. We had a good laugh over it because we thought it was an isolated incident. Turned out to be the norm in Normal at all the fields we played at. Not sure why they didn't have ASA logos on the watering cans though :)) See you next year.......
CIMG1497.jpg

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
Is there anyone here who has been to both ASA and Premier, and can elaborate on the differences in them? I've heard great things about both this year.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
tommyrobertson, that is a classic picture. Yup, we've played there many times and sure enough that is the norm. I once wondered if some of them try spitting after they run out of water. LOL! Still, they do a nice job up there and it is easy to navigate the town.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
LOL. You know there has to be irrigation to all those corn fields surrounding the place. Maybe they could tap
Into a line somewhere. :). They did do a good job, no complaints there..