13U self-taught pitcher - please critique

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Flaws are the result of an intention to leap as far off the rubber as possible. Fixing this is difficult because she's going to feel like she's dialing back her velocity, which she is but only temporarily. I would cut her stride way back, have her do what I call 'mini leaps' with a jump back after landing. A pitcher needs to go from leaning forward at launch to leaning back at landing. Good luck this is a tough one to fix.
I have nothing but respect for you.

My thought is that she should do walk-throughs to get the running forward after the pitch under control. Right now, her lower body is so messed up it's hard to get a good feel for what to teach next.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
There is a video of Connie Mack that I cant find. Maybe somebody can post it. She actually pitched with a slight jump back at plant. Super FSR. I think that's what the gurus want you to try with this young pitcher. And back knee to the catcher. Would not want to discourage her athleticism too much. How fast does she throw?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
There is a video of Connie Mack that I cant find. Maybe somebody can post it. She actually pitched with a slight jump back at plant. Super FSR. I think that's what the gurus want you to try with this young pitcher. And back knee to the catcher. Would not want to discourage her athleticism too much. How fast does she throw?
I would gueestimate high 40's, based on the girl that I am currently coaching with very similar mechanics. Who also started out as a self taught pitcher. I am her second coach, the first one couldn't make a dent in her mechanics. I'm also struggling to get her to change. As crazy as it seems I am on the verge of trying to get her to throw a riseball.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I would gueestimate high 40's, based on the girl that I am currently coaching with very similar mechanics. Who also started out as a self taught pitcher. I am her second coach, the first one couldn't make a dent in her mechanics. I'm also struggling to get her to change. As crazy as it seems I am on the verge of trying to get her to throw a riseball.
looks faster to me. I know the gym makes is sound faster. Her gloves looks to be 13". Might be slowing her down.:p

Jul 14, 2008
She throws mid 50
I had worked with her 2 times prior to the day this video was taken.
Her legs and feet remind me of a 14U Southern Force pitcher from Indiana back in 2008 or so that threw upper 60s to 70 as well as game footage of Jimmy Moore. I showed her Moore's change-up grip and process and showed her Stofflet's rise grip. She was able to throw the 3 pitches on command effectively rather quickly.
She threw the rise very fast. Changeup looked good as well.
This 1st time video was taken at our 3rd session.
She definitely leaps.
Before I focus on her leap and FSR, I want to alter her glove arm as she reaches for the target.
Her glove-arm bicep is rotating externally as she reaches for the target.
I would prefer that it rotate a little internally first and then externally on the way down during the forward drive.
I think her current glove arm reach is causing her torso, head and shoulders to open and load too early during the drive forward. Its a simple fix to work on without getting in her head.
It could help to fix some of the other issues.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Hope you both have a great time. Looks like a great journey.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
There are many ways to push off. Many ways to turn open. Many ways to pitch.

It looks like she relies on the stride. Therefor creates to much momentum. The drive leg is diminished. The entire rear column suffers.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020

Compare the stride legs. Your player is pushing her foot away to stop. Abbot is snapping her foot down in kind of a goosesteping fashion.(snapping the foot down/bringing it back towards the body)

One uses the quads(anterior chain) to extend the knee. The other uses the posterior chain which is way better for a few reasons. Point toes more at catcher and snap/pull foot down(all the way through the pitch).

She looks very good.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

Compare the stride legs. Your player is pushing her foot away to stop. Abbot is snapping her foot down in kind of a goosesteping fashion.(snapping the foot down/bringing it back towards the body)

One uses the quads(anterior chain) to extend the knee. The other uses the posterior chain which is way better for a few reasons. Point toes more at catcher and snap/pull foot down(all the way through the pitch).

She looks very good.

Nice clip of Monica, curve. In Goata, the bow gets formed set before foot plant. The bow in the front leg, like in hitting, is set. She throws against that foot ankles, hip joint which bottoms out in the hip/leg/glute for instant transfer and becomes the new column.. For as much as she bends forward, she stands up to soon. Not bad just a little early.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00