13 yo DD swing analysis

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
My 13 DD has been hitting left handed for 2 years. She recently switched from no stride to striding. She seems to be doing okay with it, but I wondered what some of you out there think. I hope I get the video up here okay. I've never tried it before.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Some things I see.
Try to keep load inside of back leg. Step out a couple of inches to a big toe, inside edge of foot with a bent knee, not flat footed.

Draw a chalk line on matt and step out straight. not step out open. This is working from the base up.

Maybe spead out her stance 2-4 inches. Will help her keep her load and swing between the legs

Good Luck
Straightleg

May 12, 2008
What he said and a lot more. First, what does her no stride swing look like?

Does look like she is able to turn the system on quickly and powerfully.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
I don't have any video of her no stride swing, just got a Flip for Christmas. It looks to me like she's dropping her hands, but I can't tell if it's because the pitch is low. Here's another video of her hitting off the tee at a clinic she attended. She's 5' 1/2" and 93lbs, so she's not going to be a power hitter. She also slaps. Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I always work on the base first before moving up and on.

Mark, Ssarge, Hitter, SbFamily, Ifubuildit, Chris Leary are a few of the guys on here that can help her swing.

Straightleg

May 12, 2008
I don't have any video of her no stride swing, just got a Flip for Christmas. It looks to me like she's dropping her hands, but I can't tell if it's because the pitch is low.

If she doesn't tilt, she has to drop her hands to hit the low pitch.

Here's another video of her hitting off the tee at a clinic she attended. She's 5' 1/2" and 93lbs, so she's not going to be a power hitter. She also slaps.

She has the physical capability to hit the ball harder than you might think. She may be small but she looks to have pretty good fast twitch muscles and the ability to turn the system on to me. Sure she should slap and I'm sure she's at least reasonably fast. She also needs to be able to hit the ball hard enough from the left side to keep the defense honest. That can be on the run or that can be a standard swing. Hard enough to keep the defense honest is hard enough to split the outfielders and make them run backwards. Home runs are all fine and good but even doubles change EVERYTHING. This hitter has the physical base to split the outfielders and one or two hop the ball into the fence at a minimum. Before you change anything you need to spend some time educating yourself and you need to check game swing video to see what she is doing there. Might be entirely different from the tee or the cage for better or worse. To start, let's talk about the athletic/vertically loaded position.

See the position this hitter is in right at or before heel plant? Photo 1 of 31, Analysis

And this hitter. MPEG4 7 of 16, Fastpitch

If you are looking for study material I'd suggest everything on here Siggy's Hitting Clips - ImageEvent, everything Boardmember, Ssarge and some others on here have written and everything you can get to on the free public side of Englishbeyhitting

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Just wanted to add my thanks to my husband's. I appreciate the feedback Straightleg and Mark. We'll work on the base and tilt this week and let you know how it goes.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
First , I am not on the hitting coach list because I dont belong there!!, Having said that, especially in the first video, I see a lot of "arminess", & lunging. I gotta agree with starting on the foundation first, - a good athletic stance, then moving up. If you go back through some of the hitting threads, you will find some good info on stance from hitter

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877