13 yo DD in RVP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I agree with everyones comments.

The front leg might be somewhat straight for a frame or two before foot plant, only it then bends and flexes, during the swing. The straightening after the swing, just shows a problem. The leg should have straightened earlier.

It's the same issues as the BP swing, although she doesn't "lead" with the elbow or show severe bat drag, the upperbody is sneaking forward (collasping into the body, and collasping into the front leg). The swing plane is incorrect as a result, flat at contact, cutting the swing off, getting jammed (because the swing slides forward, down, no real front side being used). Hitting the top half of the ball and getting jamed often results in a soft front leg (bent the entire time, or a very, very quick stiffing and flexing). Even when the ball is fouled off or up, because the swing moves down through the ball.

Yes, the swing can be looked at as dropping the hands, somewhat falling until contact.

Posture issues, yes. To upright, yes. To much weight or on the back foot?, goes with a weak front side and getting jammed. External rotation of the back leg/hip, sqaushing the bug, yes.

Compared to the Griffey clip I posted, where there is a great front side, the front leg is held for a long time because he got all of that one.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
It's funny.... I was watching the videos and before I knew it was Duran, I thought they both dropped her hands. I certainly wouldn't use Duran as a model based on that swing.

Wait until I post a few videos, They will make you think.

The difference is Duran has much better (has) connection, while she is swinging and dropping the hands.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
The question I will ask. Can she hit an outside pitch to LF?. I bet no. I will bet the ball spins off the end of her bat toward RF. There is no way she can put the sweet spot of the bat( which in softball is small) stepping out. I also agree with FFS, that is another gap in her swing. I say high in terms of rise balls, because of her position in the box. Read Howards posts on what is a neutral position in the box. This is the one big area in softball that baseball doesn't have to face and most baseball minded coaches overlook. Bustos will tell you, that when you start facing rise ball pitchers, you better have yourself in a position to hit it and not drop your hands.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
FiveFrames,

Yes, learning posture and swing plane can help a great deal. And it might be a swing level mentality, that she learned herself. Staying upright, and dropping (collasping into the front leg) until she is about the make contact.

There is the underlying swing pattern, that must be addressed while working on the swing plane and posture.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Just a quick qoute,

"you can't shoot a cannon from a canoe"

Has do with collasping into the front leg, which can be viewed as being early on every swing, upperbody sneaking forward.

To understand the qoute, look at the Griffey clip in the other thread. Applies to striking/throwing actions, and kicking actions (field goals).

Nov 18, 2009
The question I will ask. Can she hit an outside pitch to LF?. I bet no. I will bet the ball spins off the end of her bat toward RF. There is no way she can put the sweet spot of the bat( which in softball is small) stepping out. I also agree with FFS, that is another gap in her swing. I say high in terms of rise balls, because of her position in the box. Read Howards posts on what is a neutral position in the box. This is the one big area in softball that baseball doesn't have to face and most baseball minded coaches overlook. Bustos will tell you, that when you start facing rise ball pitchers, you better have yourself in a position to hit it and not drop your hands.

She can't pull a ball at all.

After i get her into a neutral position in the box what would be the next step?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
JRinhisprime.gif

Posting the clip here since it directly relates to the quote, and issues being discussed.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Bustos will tell you, that when you start facing rise ball pitchers, you better have yourself in a position to hit it and not drop your hands.

You have a choice, if the pitcher can "actually" throw a riseball for a strike. And if she is throwing allot of them, you can make an adjustment. Not tilt over the plate to much, perhaps more upright. The swing becomes more level. Look for the pitch, swing where you think the ball will end up or set your sight a little higher (look for the top half of the ball). I've seen Bustos hit a risebal around her shoulders, I've seen others do the same. And they were not strikes.

Although in the past I've talked to coaches that based everything off the riseball, stay more upright and adjust to the low pitch (and I mean adjust during the pitch, not prior). So, they protected against the riseball first. Even when the pitcher didn't throw a riseball. And often this approach ends up being making adjustments during the swing.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FiveFrames,

Yes, learning posture and swing plane can help a great deal. And it might be a swing level mentality, that she learned herself. Staying upright, and dropping (collasping into the front leg) until she is about the make contact.

There is the underlying swing pattern, that must be addressed while working on the swing plane and posture.

I agree with you Shawn ... before engaging in drills I'd be interested in learning what this girls mental image of a correct swing is.

Not long ago SL displayed one of Howard's gadgets for working the "hand path". IMO that same gadget could be instrumental towards giving a kid an improved image of the swing plane "at contact".

One question I have is if this kid has a mental image of the barrel being parallel to the ground at contact ... as opposed to a diagonal barrel.

It may be helpful to get the correct understanding of what a good swing looks like before introducing concepts like swing plane, lateral tilt, etc..

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I'm in agreement. First teach her what a correct swing looks like . I like Howard's Matrix drill and we use a mirror to show her what her swing looks like in slow motion. Many good points to work with. We teach our kids to hit any pitch 5 inches outside of the strike zone. High, Low , inside , outside. That is why you see Bustos do what she does. We have a saying, Don't let the umpires call balls and strikes, that is your job.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bake12