13 yo DD in RVP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2009
My daughter has been catching at a pitching clinic. When they did the RVP for the pitchers the did the catchers batting. The first thing I saw was the hands drop.
Any suggestions on drills to help fix the problems.

YouTube - hitting

Nov 18, 2009
Does anyone have any drills to try to get her to stop dropping her hands to get on plane with the pitch? I think that's what she is doing here.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
You don't think Duran is dropping the hands?

Duran as with many fastpitch hitters drop the hands more then their counter parts, ML hitters.

Yor daughter is collasping the the back arm/elbow/barrel into the body to start the sequence (feeling the way into the swing, sliding the hands through the swing). Duran, is shifting away for the hands/bat. Duran's back elbow/arm is not breaking down into the body prior to the start of her swing.

Most would not allow a hitter to do what Duran is doing. They would call it barring the lead arm, not swinging inside the ball, separating the hands from the body, casting, leading with back elbow.

There are severals reasons why Duran is doing what she does, females have very narrow shoulders compared to a ML hitter. Their arms seem to be longer and skinny, they seem to be back much farther because of narrow shoulder width. They are taught to use a phoney set-up, upside down V with both arms with the hand and barrel infront of the back shoulder (see Duran). So many of them through trial and error learn how to get the arms/bat/hands into a good hitting position (lead arm stretch, creating an axis between the front shoulder and hands).

Duran's game swing is better then the swing shown, the hands do not drift as far back and up, for the most part. Although the swing shown is a reasonable example of her swing. Although, like many elite hitters, she is not swinging hard in the BP swing and is farther over the front leg. The swing is more about rythm, timing, relaxation and not about muscling up.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
here are some game swings. Sorry about the length of the clip, it's 2:18 nad the first of her 3 swings in the at bat happen after the 1 minute mark.

YouTube - 20100320144519.wmv

I would address the level-shoulders swing flaw ... and when I do this I generally include an emphasis on the swing plane, which IMO is need of being addressed for this girl.

xc9oag.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
1. Weight shift she does not release from the back side. The squish the bug.
2. Way to far up in the box.
3. Steps out with a stiff front leg and foot. I would pitch her high and outside.
4. I can't tell video is not clear but it looks like her eyes-head are not down at contact. Howard's post stronger with head up or head down at contact.

Feb 6, 2009
It's funny.... I was watching the videos and before I knew it was Duran, I thought they both dropped her hands. I certainly wouldn't use Duran as a model based on that swing.

Nov 18, 2009
I would address the level-shoulders swing flaw ... and when I do this I generally include an emphasis on the swing plane, which IMO is need of being addressed for this girl.

Do you have any drills that I could use to correct this.

Funny that you guys would mention pitching her away. She hits the outside pitch well to the opposite field but can't do anything with inside pitches.