13 year old positions ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I thought the age was a little late to develop as
catcher but I found out that desire trumps all

JV, the lady that I know personally, never caught prior to going to UofA - and became one of the best, ever.

I would like to try everyone at catcher sometime, they might like it.

Oct 18, 2009
I agree with mudbug. IMHO they should have a position or type of position ( middle IF/corner IF/ OF) as a primary but locking DD into one position sometimes may keep DD off a team or with less playing time as the levels get more competitive.

Although one thing I have noticed is if you can hit... coach will find a position for you to play.

My DDs 12u coach is a former college head coach. She recruited a 12U team based on hitting and athletic ability. She did that with her college team as well. She had college girls playing positions that were not their primary positions in HS.

Mar 13, 2010
It never hurts to have the girls being able to play positions. I find most girls at that age are defenitly outfielders or infielders though. You'll have the rare player who is good at both.

At 17 I had to catch in my school's team (softball is not as big in schools here. Weekend play is the pre-dominant one) because we had a state pitcher and no-one else played so my teacher made me catch. I ended up enjoying the hell out of it, but would never do it again.

May 19, 2009
In my opinion, a player should have experience at all positions except maybe pitcher and catcher. As the funnel gets smaller you better be able to find a way to crack the lineup. You may be the "stud" shortstop until your team brings in somebody better next year or you move to HS as a freshman and guess what.... there's 2 players ahead of you at on the depth chart (same for college). Guess what? You better be able to shag down some fly balls and hit your cut off!

Coaches that specialize players too early are "win at all cost" coaches and don't have the players best long term interest in mind. I'm not suggesting that you put a player in position to fail but there should be over all skill development in practice. There's no reason an infielder can't get reps in the outfield during practice and vice versa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24