12u slapper question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 11, 2009
So the slappers on our 12u team do not like hitting off machine as they have a hard time timing the pitch and their stride. Any other coaches seeing the same thing? Is there a work around to still use the pitching machine? Or do you guys front toss or live pitch only to slappers during batting practice? Thanks
TM

Sep 17, 2009
I would think that slappers because they tend to be moving/hitting/making decisions through a longer zone would be ok with a hitting machine and any of the idiosyncrasies with how the pitch is delivered ....they would seem to be executing a much more "adjustable" swing sequence then someone just hitting off a machine.

Or maybe I'm wrong : >

Feb 9, 2011
We use the machine with the coach doing a full speed windmill and dropping the ball as his arm comes down to simulate the pitch. This should keep the timing the same as with a pitcher.

Just don't use the dipple balls and composite bats it destroys them.

Dec 28, 2008
Yes it's hard.
Yes it takes practice.

But f they can't time a pitching machine, there is no way that they can time live pitching, with pitchers who all have a different motion and different speeds of delivery, and pitches that are moving. Half of the purpose of their slide step (if they are using one) is for timing.

Share the same 3 words I share with anyone that is whining, whether it's slappers, hitters or parents: GET OVER IT.

Optional 3 words: FIND NEW TEAM.

Mar 11, 2009
They have no issue timing a live pitcher, just the machine. They aren't complaining, nor am I. I was just wondering how other coaches handle the same situation...Thanks
TM

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I'm not sure why they can't time a machine if they can time live pitching. I've found the machine helpful in teaching players how to slap- maybe the machine is too close to the batter?

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
My dd and others are slappers and have no issue with the machine, but have issues with those that feed the machines. I find that out to be the bigger issue.

Oct 16, 2008
SE Michigan
If a slapper properly uses a back step or shift as their timing step, the machine shouldn't be a problem at all and actually helps develop timing. A lot of 12u slappers haven't developed smooth footwork and look like they are hopping around instead of smoothly gliding. If they glide back then they can actually pause for a nanosecond, waiting to see the ball out of the P hand or machine before gliding into their cross step. If they are hopping then they are committing to their timing way too early. Good footwork will provide opportunity to adjust timing but timing will still be a critical issue....especially against a good changeup.

Mar 11, 2009
ttt

timing is alot better now, just had to enforce that it can be done and was just a timing thing...Thanks for feedback..
TM

Sep 3, 2009
If a slapper properly uses a back step or shift as their timing step, the machine shouldn't be a problem at all and actually helps develop timing. A lot of 12u slappers haven't developed smooth footwork and look like they are hopping around instead of smoothly gliding. If they glide back then they can actually pause for a nanosecond, waiting to see the ball out of the P hand or machine before gliding into their cross step. If they are hopping then they are committing to their timing way too early. Good footwork will provide opportunity to adjust timing but timing will still be a critical issue....especially against a good changeup.

Exactly, very well said.

And I'd have the machine feeder person (coach?), simulating the windmill. That is what slappers and hitters work off of.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck