12u question about holding/checking runner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
Better teams/players do not check or hold runners. You need to get the runner moving back toward the base and then get the out at 1st.

When I say "check the runner" I mean glance in their direction to see if they are too far off the bag or advancing to the next base. If you can get this lead runner, do so, if not get the easy out at 1st.

What you can't do in almost all situations is hold the ball without getting an out somewhere. That's a recipe for giving up a big inning.

It's pretty clear to me that the OP is playing low level 12u rec leagues where the defense (and coaches) are very inexperienced. With that said, I still like teaching the defense the skills they will need at the more competitive level.

Sep 29, 2014
@12U rec if it is not a hard hit ball "check and throw" means the runner is probably safe. At higher levels 3B and SS have that mental clock in their head depending on how fast the ball is hit to them and how fast the batter/runner is as to whether or not they can check and throw, they also know that 1B can throw the ball back to 3B faster than the runner at 2B can make it to 3B, they also know the runner at 2B and if she might think she is fast enough to try it (becuase they know girls are taught not to run if the ball is in front of them) or they noticed how far she has been taking her leads, and on and on. I've seen SS grab the ball then purposely not glance at 2B knowing the girl took a big lead then take a side step hop and fake a nice hard throw to first only to turn around with the runner at 2B now a dead duck running half way to 3B. All that to say there is a lot more going on sometimes than a girl at 12U rec can process so instead of making her head explode we just say "GET ME AN OUT (if there is any doubt go to 1B)!"