12U Pitcher- Accuracy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Hard to tell from the video, but her whip seems to be good. Any chance you can post a little higher quality video from the side? Like pointed out above, her foot angle at plant could be less. Shoot for straight and let it land where it may. I'd like to she her use her lower body more to drive a little harder.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
update from the other thread that has some foot angle discussion. I just tried this and the foot angle had a pretty big affect on left/right direction of the pitch. I wouldn't of thunk it (I know it's not a word but I like it) but I am going to be experimenting with DD to see if it helps. If this gets her accuracy in line we will be ready to DESTROY our 12U rec league. muhuhuhahahahahah evil laugh.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
softballdad:

I suspect you have been practicing the wrong thing. A pitcher does not learn how to "throw strikes". She learns to move the ball around--up, down, left and right. Why? Because hitters are different sizes, umpires have different strike zones, the wind blows, she gets fatigued, and so on. So, she has to learn how to correct the location of her pitches to fit the situation.

The basic drill is the "quadrant" drill. So, you divide the strike zone into four quadrants--low inside, high inside, high outside and low outside. She practices throwing into each quadrant. So, she first has to throw one low and inside. The next pitch has to be high inside, the next high outside, the next low outside. When you do the drill, she can't move to the next location until she throws a pitch in the desired location.

When you first start, it doesn't matter if the ball is two feet off the plate. The important thing is for her to move the ball around.

When she can do that, then randomly call the location of the pitch. Again, she has to put it in the correct location.

After that, then you divide up the plate into 9 parts...high inside, high middle of plate, high outside, middle inside, middle middle, middle outside, low inside, low middle and low outside. Do the same thing about rotating locations. Make sure that she knows where she is supposed to throw the ball.

ANOTHER COMMENT:

If this is the way she practices, I have no idea what she is trying to accomplish. Skill wise, she is way past needing to work on muscle memory.

She is not mentally engaged. She is a robot. She isn't focusing before the pitch. She is not evaluating the outcome of the pitch.

She needs to take time between her pitches and focus on what she is doing and where she is trying to put the ball. Then, she needs to self-evaluate whether she hit the location.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2011
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I will try and get a clearer video of her and keep everyone posted on her progress. She is determined to get better, so we will hit the ground pitching some more. I absolutely love this forum and apprecitate every bit of advice and criticisim that comes with being a member. I wouldn't have it any other way. Thanks and God Bless!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish