12u mitt size

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
My dd plays 10u tourny, and 12u rec. 11 inch ball in tourny, and 12 inch in rec. She has a 32 inch wilson mitt and is dropping lots of the 12 inch balls. I first was thinking it was the nerves of now playing with dropped 3rd strike and stealing home, but after looking at her glove I am thinking it might be too small for the ball.
What size does/did your 12u player use?
She is 11; 5'0; and 100 lbs. Average for 11, but the way her rec league falls there are even a few 14 yo on it, so she looks small.

Jun 21, 2010
This is the mitt my DD uses also. She is 11 and has no problem keeping the ball in her mitt.

My 11 year old DD has been using a 32.5" Mizuno Prospect GXS100 for the past couple of seasons with both 11" and 12" balls and is not having trouble holding on to the 12" balls. Not much bigger than your Wilson but maybe all gloves are not measured the same way. I really like this glove and it broke in easily.

Mizuno Prospect Series GXS100 Catcher's Mitt | Mizuno USA

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My daughter used a 29.5 inch louisville slugger mitt in 10u, when she moved up to 12u we didn't anticipate her catching a lot so we didn't get her a new glove. Catcher got hurt and she wound up catching about 20 games with that small glove. Never had a problem holding on to the bigger ball.

Make sure the glove is shaped properly and well broken in. Its not that the glove is too small.

I did get my dd a 33" mitt, just in case she catches again.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
My daughter used a 29.5 inch louisville slugger mitt in 10u, when she moved up to 12u we didn't anticipate her catching a lot so we didn't get her a new glove. Catcher got hurt and she wound up catching about 20 games with that small glove. Never had a problem holding on to the bigger ball.

Make sure the glove is shaped properly and well broken in. Its not that the glove is too small.

I did get my dd a 33" mitt, just in case she catches again.

I think I will go look at the mizuno at lunch today thanks. China, I just don't know any other reason why she can hold every 11 inch ball and drops 1 out 4 or so 12 inch. This is the 3rd season with that glove, and I am maticulus about breaking in any new gloves.

Sep 3, 2009
Most catcher's that I've seen with issues dropping caught pitches is the mitt not being broken in all the way. Maybe the pocket is broken in for the 11", but not the 12"? A 32" mitt should be plenty big for her size, and for a 12" ball. I'd look at maybe working the pocket a little, with the 12" balls. They may not be going in all the way when she's catching.

Nov 1, 2009
It could be something as simple as she isn't opening the glove. If she is real experience with the smaller ball she may be opening the glove enough to catch an 11" ball. If you have video take a picture and look at it. It will show you everything you need to know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32