12u DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
When she picks up her front foot - she shifts towards the catcher. She should be pivoting into her rear hip - meaning that when she lifts front leg - there should be less lateral movement and more winding of pelvis as she gets into her rear hip. Not around her rear hip - Into it - that is the pivot into the rear hip.

One cue I use is to try and get the front hip under the belly button to make this move. As I have sais previously - this is a physical impossibility but it should create a tighter move and limit the lateral sway.

Good luck!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Pretty good swing for 11, imo.

She is dragging the bat, though. That is, her right elbow gets ahead of the knob of the bat during the swing, which can be seen at 0:06.

She's moving too fast for me to verify, but it seems that she is beginning her swing a split second too soon. She's starting her swing before the front foot comes down. Some people call that leaking the load. Hands should remain loaded just a fraction longer.

Then she is reaching for the ball, extending her arms too early. Might be a reaction to the pitch (ie, changeup, or just mistimed it), or her typical swing. She was out in front. Would have to see her tee swing and compare.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Pretty good swing for 11, imo.

She is dragging the bat, though. That is, her right elbow gets ahead of the knob of the bat during the swing, which can be seen at 0:06.

She's moving too fast for me to verify, but it seems that she is beginning her swing a split second too soon. She's starting her swing before the front foot comes down. Some people call that leaking the load. Hands should remain loaded just a fraction longer.

Then she is reaching for the ball, extending her arms too early. Might be a reaction to the pitch (ie, changeup, or just mistimed it), or her typical swing. She was out in front. Would have to see her tee swing and compare.

Sort of resembles an "all back, all forward", "stretchless" type swing without overlap.

2zsqia9.gif

Dec 28, 2014
Yes, bat drag was way worse. Been a work in progress. It is my biggest pet peeve behind slow left lane drivers. :)

I was hoping if we can fix the coil and work on hips first that would help eliminate drag.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2014
Want to start showing her coil by forward. Is the first move in the rear hip like in the noon explanation? That example though is with the front foot already off the ground. Just trying to see what the first move is from the stance.

I also assume the stride will take care of itself if the coil is done properly?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The first move is the weighting of the rear leg ..... an impulse starting in the rear hip area, or upper rear leg area, and sent down to the rear foot. The picking up of the front foot that you are describing is to support/enrich this action.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207