11 YO DD hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
He was at a hitting clinic I worked in Dec. in Cincinnati at SWOBAT. It was him Howard Carrier, Dave Paetkau , and Marc Dagenais. He used a similiar device. The angle is the key for hitting and works better than the box we use for throwing. Sure is cheaper than teh Powerdrive device. You are right about the front foot action.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Check out her back foot in the first swing; she is doing "The Move". Whether she does it naturally or she learned it, isn't important. Just don't coach it out of her.

In swings #1 and 3, I see her picking up her back foot off the ground. Does anyone recommend this move?

mgdtoothy - love her aggressiveness and the way she attacks the ball.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Wellphyt. I just went to RVP and slowed down all the baseball players they have and some of the softball players,. None pick up the back foot like that. Many drag the back foot like MTS has in his student. I have only found one hitting coach that teachs it. Paetkau in softball and he has them takethe back foot and stand on a block ( brick) with the back foot and push off and left the leg under. So not sure this is very common or not.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
toothy,

The girls I teach/coach have been progressing using this drill for releasing the back foot and working on the bottom hand....both are connected issues IMO....

First we work off a ramp using the bottom hand only....the thought is to try and back hand the ball and let the back foot drag down the board....

EGBotHandRamp1-24-11-2.gif

Then we do the drill on flat ground

EGBotHandFlat1-24-11.gif

This would be my first step...as part of getting the front elbow pointing more down like my student....instead of out like your daughter....the front arm ends up too high and the barrel can easily loop below the hands too early....

MTS - looks like a productive drill, but I have 2 questions/concerns 1) stride foot appears to be landing flat (i.e., not toe, then heel) and 2) the head is moving forward, which is OK until plant/go, but then shouldn't it be more rotation around a firm front side (which may be in part due to concern #1)

R

RayR

GM, many girls when learning to release the back foot exagerrate the toe drag and the head will come forward....as far as the front foot....the pants are blocking the view...when I play the clips in Qtime I can see space under the pants where heel should be and then the heel dropping as the pant leg comes down....it might not be optimum but she is landing toe/heel....

Sep 29, 2010
Will this box assist in teaching a young player to get off the back side?

What are the dimensions? Length...width....height at the raised end?

Thanks

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
What jumps out for me is her grip, you need to get her knuckles lined up better, just pause the swing when she has the bat back and look. She must be moving her right hand or regripping the bat somewhere in the swing because I don't think you can swing hard using a grip like that without injuring a wrist.

Dec 9, 2009
SoCal - OC
Info about DD. 4'11" (5 feet with cleats on I was informed) and 93lbs. Bat is a 31/21. We started with a 30/18 Miken Halo Light from last 2seasons, but the 12" ball really seemed to take some of the pop out of the bat. The bat in the video is a standard aluminum bat and even with that she is driving the ball consistently 20 ft further than with the Miken. We are still shopping length/weight for a new bat. Suggestions are welcome regarding bats.

The foot off of the ground only seems to occur on pitches that are up a little and is new for this year. I haven't "taught" this at all. Overall, better than last year when all the weight was used to kill the bug. I think it is a function of her hands/bat being higher than her CG is on an up pitch. Also noticed her hands were a little strange and will remind her to get the bat out into her fingers which should bring the knuckles more in line.

@MTS: Can you send/post the dimensions of the ramp? Also looks like Wiffle balls and wiffle bat??? I like how this forces the weight shift issue. We had are first rec batting practice tonight and every girl worked "face the fire" drill off the T before going into the cage. Some with more success than others, but it was first practice.

Gotta love SoCal where it was 75 and sunny today. DD complained while shooting the video about how "hot" it was. The cages were a bit chilly (in the 60s), but I guess we can survive, even if the girls had to wear sweat shirts. :0) Will work on getting full speed video with Front Toss this weekend.

FFS: what video software do you use to get into GIF format?

Thanks again for all the input. It helps with my DD and the rest of our team. Kills me when I hear the 8U coaches telling the girls to swing level and squish the bug in the cage next to ours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd