11" to 12" ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 22, 2016
Texas
We will be making the transition to 12" ball after this summer, and I have been getting different opinions on when to start throwing the bigger ball. Most say not to touch it until you are done with the 11" completely. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to throwing the 12" and then going back to the 11" for games? I know this has probably been asked, but could not find it.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Our team has had zero issues going back and forth this spring. We have played both 10 and 12U tourneys with good results. I would work it in practice some. Moving back to 11" is easier IMO.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2016
Texas
Thanks. That was my thoughts as well. I have had several tell me to avoid it like the plague until it was time, but no one can give me a good reason.

Jun 12, 2015
We move back and forth with 11" to 12" also. After playing with a 12" for a while, the girls like the smaller 11" and can throw faster and more accurately due to the weight difference. The only problem (small) you'll run into is that the pitcher has to spend a little more time warming up with each size. The 11" will fly higher and faster. So, the muscle memory has to be reset and that takes more than a normal warm up. But, once you've determined how much more warm up each pitcher needs, you'll be pleasantly surprised on how much faster the fastballs are and how much more accurate the girls are with the 11".

Dec 8, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
My daughter practices exclusively with 12" incrediballs and has no problem going to the 11" balls for games. Caveat: she only throws fastballs and changeups, not sure how using different sizes would effect other pitches.

Jul 20, 2012
The sooner you can start using the 12" ball the better. We had a lot of girls complain of muscle pain in their forearm for a few weeks after moving to the 12" ball. It went away and it was not as traumatic as I thought it would be. Even the pitchers got used to it in short order.

As for going back to the 11" balls, I don't think that would be a problem. I use the smaller ball (and even a baseball or a ZIP ball) for girls that have poor throwing mechanics. And also for fielding and batting practice (Smaller target). My 16U girls get a kick out of baseball fungo for infield practice. I just wish I could find yellow baseballs :cool:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We will be making the transition to 12" ball after this summer, and I have been getting different opinions on when to start throwing the bigger ball. Most say not to touch it until you are done with the 11" completely. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to throwing the 12" and then going back to the 11" for games? I know this has probably been asked, but could not find it.

I am not an expert on the subject, but when my DD switched and began throwing with the 12" ball she felt like she could throw the 11" ball 80 MPH. Might have a negative effect on control, but if I had to do it over again I would be tempted to start with the 12" ball early.

Jan 22, 2011
Interestingly I was told it was more difficult to pitch with the 11" ball than the 12" ball so to stick with the 11" ball. My DD took one inning to adjust to the 12" ball the first time she pitched the 12" ball in a game.

Apr 12, 2015
The bigger or smaller ball isn't the difficult adjustment. It is the combination of the bigger ball and the added distance that will usually cause problems.

Just have her throw the 12" from 35ft and she'll be fine. Plus she'll have a head start on the move back to 40ft.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Last spring, we had a pitcher playing both 12U rec and 10U TB. She didn't have an issue adjusting down to the 11" ball, and when the TB team moved to 12U, there was no adjustment period.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45