10yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Here's the second drill swing ....

if5uvb.gif

Looks a bit different that what we see here ....

9hszr6.gif

Yes, it does look different. She wasn't performing the second move in this particular clip as I would have liked or how I demonstrated it to her. I would prefer to see earlier rotation of the top hand swivel. This is something that we will continue to work on.

In the actual swing at the ball we see an attack from below, as opposed to an attack from above.

k06lb4.gif

You're absolutely correct. Clearly, she hasn't incorporated the focus of the lesson into her swing on a moving ball.

You didn't comment on her full swing with no ball.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You didn't comment on her full swing with no ball.

IMO the full dry swing was much like the prior swing ... a forced feel of connection in which extension was being restricted until barrel release. The transition that I attempted to explain earlier is occurring too late in the swing.

dq1zro.jpg

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
What is the purpose of this swing drill here?

dowcg1.gif

Maintaining the V in her rear arm and hands at the rear shoulder (rather than pulling the bat downward, as is her habit) as her shoulders start their turn forward.

Do you see it as part of this here?

dq1zro.jpg

Yes and no. I asked her to not let her arms extend. And the Mig clip is later in the swing.

Regarding your last comment here ... that's what it looks like too ... ie, that you are purposely restricting extension.

Notice that the swing clip of Miggy starts at the RVP connection point position and that extension is seen to occur from that point onwards ... not the case for your DD, who is well past the RVP connection point position and not in the process of extending.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
IMO the full dry swing was much like the prior swing ... a forced feel of connection in which extension was being restricted until barrel release. The transition that I attempted to explain earlier is occurring too late in the swing.

dq1zro.jpg

If that's what you're seeing, then I'm happy with that, because that was the focus of the work. Getting the top hand pivot happening sooner will promote earlier extension, as will the direction to not restrict extension. For now, I will continue to work with her on the feeling of attacking the ball from above, which is obviously not programmed yet.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I give you a lot of credit for making this comment. If I may offer some advice... Some people tend to focus on individual movements or pieces of the swing. They utilize drills and cues in order to get their point across. Some other people work primarily on "the sequence" instead of individual actions. While I like using some drills to focus on specific things, I try to keep it a very small part of each hitting session. DD may do 20-25 tee hits (depending what our focus is for that day) and then we go right into front toss (60-70 swings per session - but may vary). When doing the drills, we never work on more than one thing per session. Like your DDs, mine has her challenges. She is improving, but still has a way to go. Good luck with yours!

fastpitch, you nailed it..

Focus on the pre-swing core stretching actions that will create balanced forward and back reactions. Most tend to look at the hands/arms early on which takes the swing out of sequence from the begining.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Focus on the pre-swing core stretching actions that will create balanced forward and back reactions. Most tend to look at the hands/arms early on which takes the swing out of sequence from the begining.

How do pre-swing core stretching actions help her reprogram her hands to work from above the ball?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
If that's what you're seeing, then I'm happy with that, because that was the focus of the work. Getting the top hand pivot happening sooner will promote earlier extension, as will the direction to not restrict extension. For now, I will continue to work with her on the feeling of attacking the ball from above, which is obviously not programmed yet.

In an earlier post in this thread I attempted to explain that the hand pivot point, that has the hand pressure perpendicular to the barrel, and is 'around' the rear forearm, does not promote extension, but actually assists in maintaining the Vee relationship in the rear arm ..... it is the turning of the barrel 'along' the rear forearm that promotes extension.

An earlier hand pivot assists in earlier extension only because the transition from 'around' to 'along' happens earlier.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
In an earlier post in this thread I attempted to explain that the hand pivot point, that has the hand pressure perpendicular to the barrel, and is 'around' the rear forearm, does not promote extension, but actually assists in maintaining the Vee relationship in the rear arm ..... it is the turning of the barrel 'along' the rear forearm that promotes extension.

An earlier hand pivot assists in earlier extension only because the transition from 'around' to 'along' happens earlier.

That was the intent in what I said. Thanks, Cliff. ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd