10yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
My point is one should look at a similar movement pattern when making comparisons.
To me the swing gifs are 'similar'(having a likeness or resemblance, especially in a general way) that was the reason for the comparison.

Originally Posted by TDS
The 2 movement patterns aren't compatible. If you're trying to match Brooke's actions
Put yourself inside her skin and try to create the stretch and pulse actions without using the rear leg/hip as the driver.
Can you explain the bold above further. I don't think that is even possible to ' create the stretch and pulse actions without using the rear leg/hip as the driver'.

It is fairly well explained in Jim Dixon's (senior) book "The Exceptional Athlete".

The rear leg is used in three phases during the move out. The last phase, the "explosion phase", should be reactionary. That is, after phase two ... the "extra stretch" ... where the upper rear leg turns in, the "explosion phase" takes place. This last phase usage of the rear leg is reactionary ... The leg is acted upon. The contraction that takes place as you work the barrel against the "extra stretch" will give rise to this 'pulse'.

You nailed it earlier ... Put the "extra stretch" in the proper sequence and then work/throw/sling-shot the barrel against the "extra stretch".

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Missing frame/stretch:
BrookeMissingFrames.gif

Internet terms......

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

I just wanted to explain what it was I was seeing... Gif one is the game swing that you pointed me towards. Gif two obviously is the tee swing we have been looking at. I see more shoulder turn in the tee swing than I do in the game swing. And I believe this is due to how focused she is on the ball. Her chin is down and her eyes are focused down, instead of at the pitcher as they are in the game swing. Since she seems to like to have her front shoulder near her chin, she needs to rotate her shoulders more in order to get the shoulder there. This in turn leads to additional hand movement in the tee swing that I don't see in the game swing (granted it is difficult to see in that gif). Why I point this out is because I don't think the extra hand movement is really part of her normal swing, but a byproduct of her shoulder rotation. If you asked her to focus her eyes on a fictitious pitcher, and then "watch" the ball come in to the tee, I am suggesting that you would see less shoulder turn and less overall hand movement. Just a theory, mind you....

Added - just from a "hands" perspective, I think the game swing is better than the tee swing.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I just wanted to explain what it was I was seeing... Gif one is the game swing that you pointed me towards. Gif two obviously is the tee swing we have been looking at. I see more shoulder turn in the tee swing than I do in the game swing. And I believe this is due to how focused she is on the ball. Her chin is down and her eyes are focused down, instead of at the pitcher as they are in the game swing. Since she seems to like to have her front shoulder near her chin, she needs to rotate her shoulders more in order to get the shoulder there. This in turn leads to additional hand movement in the tee swing that I don't see in the game swing (granted it is difficult to see in that gif). Why I point this out is because I don't think the extra hand movement is really part of her normal swing, but a byproduct of her shoulder rotation. If you asked her to focus her eyes on a fictitious pitcher, and then "watch" the ball come in to the tee, I am suggesting that you would see less shoulder turn and less overall hand movement. Just a theory, mind you....

Added - just from a "hands" perspective, I think the game swing is better than the tee swing.

Nice observations, FP26. Thanks. I know she focuses a lot on being quick to contact when she is in the box. Her TB coach prefers that she not stride, also (I'm not fighting that at the moment).

EDIT: Looking through a couple of videos of game swings taken from the front side, you are correct. Her hands aren't pushing rearward the same way as she does on the recent tee swing. However, some different issues exist.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Nice observations, FP26. Thanks. I know she focuses a lot on being quick to contact when she is in the box. Her TB coach prefers that she not stride, also (I'm not fighting that at the moment).

EDIT: Looking through a couple of videos of game swings taken from the front side, you are correct. Her hands aren't pushing rearward the same way as she does on the recent tee swing. However, some different issues exist.

No doubt.... But she is still young, and you are smart enough to realize it is a journey. From my perspective it looks like you are heading in the right direction.

I have mixed feelings about the stride. I consider the stride to be a matter of personal taste. While it can be helpful in many ways, it is not necessary. My only concern would be that Maddie seems very athletic. I hope she doesn't lose some of that by removing the stride. I guess it depends on the reasoning behind the change. Good luck!

311ujgo.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207