10yo DD Critique please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 24, 2012
She just turned 10 she has one more year of 10u after this year. She throws hard and has a very good change up. Shes being taught I/R but the problem is i noticed her follow through is not always consistent. Is this normal or is this being caused by something? I will post 4 videos the last one looks like a H/E finish even though shes whipping.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
NewBucketDad,

Did you teach her? If so... there are some really, really, good things going on here. Nice job!

You really nailed it... her release mechanics on every pitch are completely different... to the point I think I'm watching her throw different pitches...

How's her control? One thing I've noticed over the years with girls that have different follow-throughs with the same pitch - is that their control is usually a little off.

An idea... have her do a bunch of throws from 9 o'clock... with good I/R (palm-up to hand inside to pronated) from about 25 feet. Give her a target that does not change... like the torso. Have her visualize throwing the ball to that target before she throws... and most importantly get her to shorten her follow-through. Once she has a really nice low-follow through (similar to what Rick P. calls a dead stop - the goal being to try stop the hand from moving forward after release of the ball)... tell her to key in on that feeling... trying to replicate it in all subsequent throws. Once she has dialed in that 'feeling'...

Have her try to replicate it with Show-It,Throw-it. Once she has that...

Have her try to replicate that feel with a relaxed full pitch motion.

If it breaks down... simply go back to 9... get it dialed in... then to show-it, etc... ''

In no time... she'll be increasing the full pitch tempo.... and replicating that feeling on each pitch. If she struggles with control, you'll notice a significant improvement. You'll also notice a spin improvement...

The framerate/lighting (and the fence! ;) ) in the videos make it tough to really tell - but it appears she gets her hand on top of the ball early, forms an early hook, has palm-up at 9... and i/r's through release. Decent front side resistance, too.

She gets a decent lean... and pushes pretty forcefully off the rubber. Front-side timing is pretty dang good... as she has a very nice overlapping sequence early... and over-the-top.

As you could probably guess... I might work on the drive mechanics a bit with her... namely the stride knee and foot elevation - but she's got a lot of REALLY good traits.

Very impressive pitcher...

Apr 24, 2012
Thanks JS. She has a pc im gonna see him tonight and ask him also. She has very good control she might have 3 walks this whole spring and can go up down in and out no problem. Im gonna definitely take you advice and do them drills but i dont want to mess around to much mid season. Can She hurt herself bringing the arm up that high?

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
There are many things that a long follow-through can do... but they are in a case by case scenario. More importantly, a lower follow-through will increase spin, speed, and placement... even if it's good now... but most of all... bring consistency to a matter you agree that is inconsistent.

I recommended the lower finish - because it won't mess with her too much. IMO, it's a safe thing to work on...

Seems like a decent PC... This is good to hear.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
IMHO, you are being too impatient. Consistency comes from practice. She needs lots of practice...three times a week, 50 weeks of the year, for 8 years. Then, she'll be consistent.

Apr 24, 2012
There are many things that a long follow-through can do... but they are in a case by case scenario. More importantly, a lower follow-through will increase spin, speed, and placement... even if it's good now... but most of all... bring consistency to a matter you agree that is inconsistent.

I recommended the lower finish - because it won't mess with her too much. IMO, it's a safe thing to work on...

Seems like a decent PC... This is good to hear.

ok thanks JS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06