10u pitcher...need advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Her pitching instructor has her doing her wrist snap where her arm comes straight up towards her ear.

When it comes to increasing speed I would be careful to make sure your dd's efforts are not being sabotaged by the above quoted instruction you are receiving. The pull down, snap at the bottom with a perfectly timed wrist snap at a perfect "release point", finish straight up with a bent arm can result in lots of frustration caused by well meaning instructors and parents. I've been there in the past. It is likely the harder she tries to throw like this the higher it will go.

Please read this link on the topic of internal rotation. See if this is the outcome of the instruction your daughter is currently receiving. If she can get this idea of "throwing" underhand at age 10 you will be well on your way.

Imagine throwing overhand by always having your hand behind the ball and your forearm facing the target and pushing forward relying on a perfectly timed wrist snap to throw hard (of course this is not how we throw overhand) as opposed to rotating your shoulder and forearm to realease to throw hard. Method 2 is how we throw hard overhand. The same applies to throwing underhand.

I've coached a bunch of local kids over the past 10 years as my daughters have moved through. This last batch of pitchers (9 and 10U) is turning out the best by far (at least relative to their age)because of my recent understanding of how to throw the ball underhand using internal rotation which has no relationship to most instruction and printed materials on the subject of pitching.

Oct 15, 2009
First thing that alarms me is the idea of teaching a kid with a 40mph fast ball to throw a rise. She is no where near ready for a rise ball, she needs at least 15 to 20 more mph. Beware the PC that is eager to teach very young girls a rise ball, he might just be after your $$$.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
"Her pitching instructor has her doing her wrist snap where her arm comes straight up towards her ear. "

1999 coach,

There are alot of people giving advice here. Most are giving very specific advice to a particular pitching style, release point, grip, etc. The problem is that that specific piece of advice DOES NOT apply to ALL the pitching styles, release points, grips, etc, for the movement pitch being discussed.

Some are describing follow throughs and calling them releases, and a release point as being the only release point there can be.

What pitching style does she throw with? Is it an open or closed style? What wind up does she throw with?

All questions like this must be addressed before anyone can give ANY specific advice.

Ask her instructor all the questions and get all the answers. Then maybe someone can give specific advice.

Jul 21, 2008
Hal, FYI 10u girls pitch with a 11 inch ball not a 10 inch. Baseball 9 inch, 10u softball 11inch, 12u and up pitch with 12 inch ball.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hal, FYI 10u girls pitch with a 11 inch ball not a 10 inch. Baseball 9 inch, 10u softball 11inch, 12u and up pitch with 12 inch ball.

I stand corrected. You are right, my bad. :rolleyes: They used to tease me at the academy for saying the same thing.

Glad somebody is awake!

Dec 8, 2009
As far as the open or closed style she finishes facing homeplate from what I understand this is closed style,correct?Her grip on the fastball she uses her index,middle and ring finger with her pinky finger curled to the side and wrist snap is what I think is peel type where the ball has 6-12 rotation follows throught to the ear.Change up grip is 4 finger type,with minimal wrist snap and follow through comes across the mid section to the opposite side.I will ask her PC what type wind up and any other questions you all need.If possible I will get some video this weekend.

1999Coach

Dec 8, 2009
Hal,I spoke with P/C after her last lesson and she uses the closed style with a double pump wind up.If any other info is needed let me know and I will ask.

1999Coach

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hal,I spoke with P/C after her last lesson and she uses the closed style with a double pump wind up.If any other info is needed let me know and I will ask.

1999Coach

OK. Have her try and time it so the ball comes forward (after the backswing) at the same time as the stride leg comes forward of the rubber. Keep a slight bend in the elbow through the entire pitch. Make sure she starts out with a slight lean forward and is on a slight lean backward when the landing foot touches down. She should do well with the new stride length.

The grip and follow through you described will produce a bullet spin pitch, little to no movement.

Hal

Dec 8, 2009
Hal, thanks for the quick reply.Your right about the bullet spin.I will give this a try and let you know how it goes.I got your book last week and have been reading and re-reading it,lot of great info in there.I do have a few questions about a couple of things,is it ok to pm you with them?

1999Coach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes