10U Makenzie pitching clips, one ptich at a time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 28, 2013
My wife filmed her one pitch at a time, unfortunate she kept stopping the phone to quick to see the whole pitch like all of the follow through. Any comments or suggestion will be greatly appreciated. I don't know what is but she is throwing strikes like never before and I gunned her again today. She was 2 months ago 37-40, usually 37-39, now today out of 30 pitches she was 40-43 still throwing strikes, mainly 42-43 today. She is wanting to be good after she was dominant against those 12U "league teams", until the final, when we finally played some competition, a travel team of all 12U, against our 9 and 10U players, bigger ball, longer distance from mound to plate. Any way I'm proud she is improving

10U Makenzie another side shot 5-11-13 - YouTube

10U Makenzie from side angle - YouTube

10U Makenzie pen work 5-11-13 - YouTube

May 31, 2012
Just a bucket dad. She bends at waste at release. My DD will do this sometimes when she's trying to guide the ball and keep it down. Remind her to keep her shoulders back and stay tall. Show her the video of herself and show her video of other model/high level pitchers. Stay tall throw against a firm front side. All in all she looks good.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
Yes, she shouldn't be so scrunched up at release. Her drive leg is a bit collapsed as she's dragging her foot, which is probably why she ends up so bent at the end.

Feb 7, 2013
I like her aggressiveness. Things I would work on a) she has very little leap and drag, more like a step and drag b) she needs to get open during the stride c) having her start her motion with both hands going back to her right hip will help her start shift her weight back and then forward down the powerline when she strides forward d) yes, she bends at the waist instead of staying tall e) I like her arm whip but she is too closed at release, needs to stay more open. She has lots of potential and appears to throw pretty hard with less than ideal mechanics. We look forward to seeing her progression the next 6 months and beyond.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She is exactly where some of my beginning students are. Her head should be looking at you (it is), but don't follow that with the right shoulder. Keep the shoulders straight above the hips, which have to face 3rd. I tell them it is just like standing. Show her the end of your clips. I doubt that she would stand up like that.

Say "Do not push the shoulders towards me." I would have her stand, facing the side of the house. She needs to be about 6 inches from it. And have her pitch, ball in glove (at the front hip) and full arm circle.

Feb 28, 2013
Thanks Everyone!!, like I said, I'm a baseball coach, this is my first year of coaching fast pitch and I love it!!. I've noticed after watching her she did looked all scrunched up, but she is throwing strikes. ME (the bucket dad), not being hateful Humpty, but I know her mechanics are no where near where they need to be, but she is throwing strikes. That being said I know I've got to get it corrected quickly or the BAD muscle memory will be that much harder to fix. When we first started earlier in the year, I sat on my bucket and just hoped she could get near the strike zone, now I write down every pitch she throws like if she throws 50 pitches, 1-10 FB (just throw strikes), 11-20 I move to the outside corner, 21-30 we move to the inside corner, 31-40 change ups, 41-50 I make her alternate fastball outside corner, then change up, fastball inside corner, change up, just repeating that until we get to 50. Again, thanks for all the feedback. I was just wondering if she looked the same as when she started?

Feb 28, 2013
She is exactly where some of my beginning students are. Her head should be looking at you (it is), but don't follow that with the right shoulder. Keep the shoulders straight above the hips, which have to face 3rd. I tell them it is just like standing. Show her the end of your clips. I doubt that she would stand up like that.

Say "Do not push the shoulders towards me." I would have her stand, facing the side of the house. She needs to be about 6 inches from it. And have her pitch, ball in glove (at the front hip) and full arm circle.

Thanks Amy, we will definitely be doing the facing the house drill. I have bought the Worth Club K Power Line, she has everything she needs to be successful except a Pitching Coach, which is me, but believe me I'm doing all this 35 year old can do to learn what it takes because she, "I Think", she has all the potential in the world. When we played in that 12U tournament, and watched as she threw strike after strike, while throwing harder than every pitcher there, with a pretty nasty change up we just started working on, she grew up that tournament. She had confidence, her mound presence was great, her demeanor, she got down 3-0 to about 4=5 hitters, and came back a struck them out. She wants it bad, if she put down the ball tomorrow, I wouldn't make her play, I'm not living thru her sports career, I've been there and done that, have had major success coaching baseball, She wants to be great and I want to her to be what she wants to be. Like I said before she is probably 5'2 now and super athletic, wish I would have gotten her athletic ability. Anyway thanks as always, and back to the drawing board we go!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah