10U DD Swings from Monday's BP Session

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
The conclusion that my son and I came to was that when we took some of the extra slop out of the beginning of her swing it sped up her initiation process and now her timing is off. .

That's not uncommon when they start getting the bat moving. It's the first thing we see when we introduce the command drill to girls.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
That's not uncommon when they start getting the bat moving. It's the first thing we see when we introduce the command drill to girls.

coachbob,

Can you explain the "command drill" please? I have seen it discussed before but I am not completely sure what it is. Searches have not yielded much information for me. Thanks.

Jun 18, 2013
coachbob,

Can you explain the "command drill" please? I have seen it discussed before but I am not completely sure what it is. Searches have not yielded much information for me. Thanks.

I would be pretty interested to know what drill you are referring to also.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
coachbob,

You 'search' the wrong threads. I've been whispering where to go for a while.:p
CabreraColabelloRearCommand.gif

Jun 18, 2013
I'm going to need a technical hitting forum to English dictionary or something. Maybe just a gif translator. Are we talking about separation/stretch again?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm going to need a technical hitting forum to English dictionary or something. Maybe just a gif translator. Are we talking about separation/stretch again?

As I understand it, the "command drill" is taking it even further - to the point of launch, with the resistance in place to create an immediate reaction.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
As I understand it, the "command drill" is taking it even further - to the point of launch, with the resistance in place to create an immediate reaction.

Right..

The student gets to the point of launch, removing all slack, and awaits your command to swing. With camera rolling, you give the "go" command. The first several times you do this you will see lots of pre-swing movement, extra loading, etc. that was thought to be removed. Each swing should be shown to the student, showing the (always present) movement he/she does not believe is there. After a dozen or so, the student can often feel when they are not instantaneous with their swing. The benefits of this drill are obvious, but it does wreak havoc in the early stages, as the girls will often be early in their game swings. One major benefit is that it forces you to find (you have to look for it) a position whereby you can swing without momentum; in a phone booth (as it were). It's a Teacherman go-to drill and diagnostic tool.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
You 'search' the wrong threads. I've been whispering where to go for a while.:p
CabreraColabelloRearCommand.gif

The thing that stands out to me is how "balanced" Miggy is during his move out. Whether you want to call it forward by coil. Or you want to say he is balanced from the middle out (launching the barrel within the sagittal plane). The moment that is isolated and marked as "command drill readiness" I have been referring to as the attack position. I'm really not sure where I heard that, but it seems to make sense to DD. Anyway, I especially like the angle of his shoulders at that point. By comparison, the other hitter does not match up with shoulder angle or with dynamic balance at the point the gif is paused. Based on coachbob's description of the drill, it sounds like a test of dynamic balance. The hitter is learning how to utilize his/her body in order to get into the attack position or command drill readiness position. Body control = dynamic balance = more efficient explosion. At least that is how the process looks to me....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321