10u bat sizes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 25, 2014
What size bats do most 10u players swing? My DD is 9 first year girl pitch. She currently swinging an Easton FP11SY10 31"21oz. I weighed the bat and its actual weight 22.4 oz. She's a strong girl and had no issues swinging the bat in coach and machine pitch but with the faster pitching of girl pitch she seems behind the ball. I'm looking for a new bat but trying to figure out the best way to go. Thinking possibly -11 or a bat -10 that really weighs 21oz. Looking at xeno, ltx and 2legit. Any insight or suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
In 10U, my DD swung a 30/18 (first year, rec), 31/20 (second year, rec), and 31/21 (travel). In my experience, 30-31 is most common in 10U, but I have seen 29 and 32, as well.

If you're looking for actual bat weights, here's the place....http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-equipment-product-reviews/20034-bat-weight-database.html

Something to consider...Being late to the ball isn't necessarily a bat weight issue. Very often, it's a mechanical issue. Also possible is a mental approach issue. If she's a strong kid who is able to swing her current bat with good speed, I would look to fixes other than a change of bat weight.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If you are chasing length DeMarini would be a good choice also. They will typically be on or a little under weight. The also have a few different drops to choose from.

DD swung a 30/20 Xeno in 10U, she is a little on the small side so the bat your DD currently is swinging sounds about right.

Apr 26, 2015
DD is 4'11" and 72 lbs. Just moved up to 12U. She swings a 30/20 LXT. Thinking about moving her to a 31/21...but she is hitting well so we are not in a huge hurry.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Your DD must be a heck of a lot bigger and stronger than my DD was at 9, that's a lot of bat ! I agree with Eric on the swing mechanics, but with the way Easton's are weighted it may just be too much bat? I'd stay with the same drop, and the same 31/21 size in a Demarini CF or a LS LTX. Both of those are going to be right on 21oz.

Jul 15, 2015
My girls use between a 28 and 32 inch bat. We have team bats and the 29 inch Xeno is the most popular. The 28 inch Demarini is probably the hottest. When given a choice I found most girls picked a bat 1 inch smaller then what their parents had them swinging. To fit a bat I would have the player stand and rest her arms at her side. The bat should stop where she would wear a watch.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2015
My DD turned 10 a month ago. She is 4'9" and weighs about 85lbs. She is currently swinging a 31/20 CF6.

He coaches think she'd benefit from a 31/21. I've been dragging my feet because I really don't feel like buying another bat...lol

I'll probably end up getting her a 31/21 before Little league starts in a few weeks. It'll give her a chance to get used to it before spring tournaments get rolling.

Jun 25, 2014
Thanks for the replies. My DD is 5" and 130lbs. Big strong solid girl. I certainly think her mental approach and timing is affecting her. She just hasn't gotten comfortable at the plate yet from the girls pitching. Also believe a little lighter bat would help a lot also. When watching batting practice off of tee she hits the ball hard but can tell she doesn't have the bat speed as some other girls. Most girls on her team are swinging 30" bats. So looking at the bat weight database the demarini and ltx had the most accurate weights. Found a good deal on a 2015 2legits -10 what are the thoughts on weight of those bats?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse