10u bat advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2012
Hello all, new to the forum. I am looking for bat advice. My daughter, who is 9 is in the need of a new bat. She is currently using a demarini Bustos 29"-13. After 2 years of rec ball, travel ball, and multiple girls using it, it has gone dead. Still a few sweet spots left on it but most of it sounds dead. My dilema is that we were prepared to get a new bat for her for christmas but now a change of plans. Been looking around and found a new easton synergy crystal for under $70. 29"-11.5. She is around 50" tall and 60lbs. but strong. She plays football as linebacker and safety!!lol
Anyway, the price is very right, so i am considering it. From what Ive seen, the bat has good reviews. In allstars this year (pitching machine 8u)she has hit the fence(150') in the air on several occasions, and one game on a 200' field she hit it in the air roughly 25' from the fence. My only concern is the added 1.5oz. But the price is right, and i figure i wont have alot invested in it.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If you DD is strong enough, I would see is she could swing a 30/20. See if any of her teammates have one she can try. You would probably get two years out of it before she outgrew it. If you buy a 29/17.5 you will be buying another bat in 6-9 months if your DD has a growth spurt.

Feb 3, 2011
If you DD is strong enough, I would see is she could swing a 30/20. See if any of her teammates have one she can try. You would probably get two years out of it before she outgrew it. If you buy a 29/17.5 you will be buying another bat in 6-9 months if your DD has a growth spurt.
Do you really think a 4-2, 60-lb 9yo can go from a 29/16 to a 30/20??

At her height, a 29" is probably the optimum length. A 29/17 or 29/17.5 is likely a good progression.

Aug 13, 2012
Update: Bought an Easton Synergy Crystal off Ebay for $66. We have been doing lots of T work and soft toss to get it broke in. At this point after a week we have most likely put 300 hits on it. The sound of it is definetly getting a CRACK to it. Hit with it well at batting practice but as far as whether it has more pop than the Bustos has yet to be determined. From what I have read it is the same bat as the Easton Synge. It is a 29"-11.5.

Feb 8, 2009
I've been coaching girls your daughter's age for a few years. I like the -12 for most. In 10 years, I've had just a handful of kids who could swing a -10 or -9. My guess would be your daughter would use an 18 oz. or 19 oz. bat. See if you can borrow different sizes to see how she does. If the bat is too heavy, it's usually obvious.

Aug 13, 2012
Well, after putting roughly 500 hits on the Synergy Crystal bat, i have mixed feelings about it. I personaly put roughly 250 hits on it and my 14yr old dd put nearly as many hits on it as i have. My 9 yr old dd(the one the bat belongs to lol) has hit with it another 200, but she is 9 and only 60lbs. I really feel the Bustos was a better bat for her. The extra 1.5 oz didnt affect her swing that i can see, it just seems like the ball came off the bustos faster than the easton. I wonder if its because of the whipping action of the two piece bustos versus the one piece composite easton. However, she did hit one last night that traveled around 130' in the air with the easton, which i feel is a pretty good shot for a 60lb 9 yr old, that kind of shot was fairly normal for the Bustos bat and has hit the fence at 150' with it. So, i guess I will be bat shopping for Christmas. Any recomdations? Price isnt an issue, as this girl is serious about playing ball. Plus, Santa is bringing it so it wont cost me anything!!!lol

May 25, 2012
My daughter (9 yo, 4'9" 85lbs.)used a Easton Synge for about half of the spring season before she gave up on it. Not wanting to sepnd a bunch of money on another bat that she would hate I got her a good old -11 aluminum Easton Wal Mart special that she used for the rest of the spring season with better results. This summer she wanted to try out for a better travel team so I knew I would have to invest in a better bat for her if she was going to have a chance. After doing some research I pulled the trigger on a Miken Halo Light ($115 off of ebay) for her. It has been the best purchase I have made for her. She is able to handle the bat and put the ball in play with lots power behind it.

Aug 13, 2012
Thanks for the info!! How was the Halo out-of-the-box? Ive read some good reviews on the Halo, but i also read good reviews on the Synge and Synergy Crystal. Not impressed qith the Crystal at all, and i read somewhere that the Synge is the same bat as the Crystal, just a name change.

Apr 1, 2010
My DD had a Miken Halo light also, one of the pink drop 12s. (I think the newer purple ones are a drop 12.5?) It had great pop for a light bat. DD hit a few hundred balls off a tee into a net before taking hers to a game, so I'm not sure how hot it would have been without any break-in.

DD's new team just got a variety of new Worth 454s. Several of the girls got the drop 12s and they seem like pretty hot bats. I can definitely say those Worth 454 Legit Lites are hot right out of the wrapper; I was watching their first practice with them.

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
My daughter has the purple -12.5 Halo Light and it seems to be good to go right out of the box.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma