10 yo - I think she has figured it out !!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Well there you go. And yes, the static pre-loaded upper body isn't good. I'd teach this completely the other way around ... that is rather than teaching a stride, I'd teach the loading aspects and let the stride be a 'result'.

You've made progress. Hope it continues.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
When her front foot lands her hips are open and her shoulders are closed so she is coiled and creating a great amount of torque between her upper and lower body. Then she leads with the hips and uncoils resulting in a powerful swing.

BD - I am not a hitting coach. So any questions that I ask are not critiques. They are requests for help in my own understanding of a swing. In your daughter's swing, I questioned whether there could be be more/better coil and uncoil. She definitely leads w/ the hips and gets torque. But could she use counterclockwise coil in the load like this?

Kent_SF_front2_fbc.gif

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
And my other question was about stretch & fire I don't see much of this in the swing you posted (although I still think it's a pretty good swing for age 10) -

2dkekcp.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
OK. Lets do it this way. My DD would prefer to look at current or recent female fastpitch players as her "roadmap". Which female hitters would you recommend? If you don't recommend any of the female swings , then simply just say "none of them"

Many females are trying to copy the MLB swing. If you use females as a model then you are basically using a swing of someone trying to copy the MLB swing. IMO it makes more sense to go straight to the original source which are MLB players.

Here is Katie Cochran compared to Rod Carew:

I don't know any travel coach, HS coach or hitting instructor in my area that would teach what Katie does. The first thing they would do is tell her she was dropping her hands. They would then proceed to coach her natural HAND COCK action out of her, which would destroy the good sync she has. She would be instructed to keep her hands up and take them more or less straight back as she made her stride. From that position she would be instructed to take her hands to the ball. Those two actions would then likely lead to the elimination of the natural corner she creates and cause her to swing in a circle.

stv

May 12, 2010
GIF:
Jayla7-27BP_zpsc64389cd.gif

I think you have a good student there. Things I would tweak at this time are. (in simple English)
In her pre motion would like to see the hands involved. Hands going back to the position shes starting in
When she starts her negative movement with her stride leg. I would work on getting the hips more involved.
I love way her back leg looks in the video. But It doesn't look like shes using it. Looks like cause and effect. Meaning her stride is causing it. If you can get her to Drive with the back side like that into her stride foot and it looks like the video.
I'll take my DD to you :)
Keep up the good work. Don't over complicate things for her. Its a long road ahead.

Also Im sure she hears hit the ball out front all the time. But if she can learn to let it get deeper in the zone and hit opposite field.
Triple city...................... one bad throw home run..................
My 2cents

What size bat is that

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06