10 yo DD pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 3, 2011
GA
IMG 0872 - YouTube

I know we need to work on staying tall and a few other things. Please let me know what you see that we are doing right/wrong! She is 10. Around 60-65lbs/4ft 3. Throws around 40mph. Thanks!

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
You're spot on about "staying tall," but she needs to really understand (and this can be a problem for a 10YO) that the reason that's important is because right now she has almost no front side resistance at all. Front side resistance is critical to the speed and accuracy of a pitch.

If you're up for a little physics talk, the strength trainer I work with wrote an awesome article about how force is directed through the body when the stride foot hits the ground, and why it causes trouble when the posture breaks down. I pretty much knew why front side resistance was important before I read it, but the way it was explained was really meaningful for me and made it much clearer. You can read it here.

Mar 3, 2011
GA
You're spot on about "staying tall," but she needs to really understand (and this can be a problem for a 10YO) that the reason that's important is because right now she has almost no front side resistance at all. Front side resistance is critical to the speed and accuracy of a pitch.

If you're up for a little physics talk, the strength trainer I work with wrote an awesome article about how force is directed through the body when the stride foot hits the ground, and why it causes trouble when the posture breaks down. I pretty much knew why front side resistance was important before I read it, but the way it was explained was really meaningful for me and made it much clearer. You can read it here.

Thanks Carly!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
AAA.jpg

The pitch that takes place at 10 seconds is very good. She wants to land like she is here and release the ball. Do not let the front knee bend, although it shouldn't be locked. Do not tilt at the waist or get "nose over toes," at all. She wants a normal posture, just like walking.
Can she flip the ball into her own glove? Can she walk, pitch and flip into her own glove? And she needs a lot of balance work with the front foot up in the air.
She is good. I would keep encouraging her to "see" where her pitch is going, before she throws. "Think it through."
She is in a very good starting place and will soon start putting it all together. Have fun.

Mar 3, 2011
GA
View attachment 2606

The pitch that takes place at 10 seconds is very good. She wants to land like she is here and release the ball. Do not let the front knee bend, although it shouldn't be locked. Do not tilt at the waist or get "nose over toes," at all. She wants a normal posture, just like walking.
Can she flip the ball into her own glove? Can she walk, pitch and flip into her own glove? And she needs a lot of balance work with the front foot up in the air.
She is good. I would keep encouraging her to "see" where her pitch is going, before she throws. "Think it through."
She is in a very good starting place and will soon start putting it all together. Have fun.

Thanks Amy! I'll try the walk, pitch, and flip into her glove with her.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs