“Take away the rise”?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
The weird chart in the catcher thread got me thinking about this:

At a large regional tournament this summer opposing coaches were doing something we had never seen before. Our P1 on our then first year 14u team cruises around 54-55. For the competition we play she is very good, and hitters generally have trouble catching up.
One thing she does not “have” though, is a rise ball. She has a decently fast fastball that she misses high a lot with.

And all these coaches, game after game, were telling their hitters to move up in the box. And we couldn’t figure it out. They couldn’t catch up to her back in the box, why were they moving up? (It didn’t work btw).

Anyway, is this some sort of strategy to “take away the rise ball”? Any other reasonable explanation? Does that strategy even make sense?

May 17, 2012
No it doesn't make sense.

Coaches in softball have very little impact during the game. I can't set a pick for you on offense or run a pick play to free you up in the secondary. I have to just sit there and watch as you are alone on a little island in the batters box.

I can offer all sorts of useless verbal cues...get your elbows up, get your elbows down, scoot up, hit it hard, scoot back, blah blah blah.

It isn't going to help you any in the moment but it makes me feel like I am doing something as a coach.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
The idea behind moving up in the box is that you might be able to get to the ball before it fully breaks. The obvious downside is that it reduces reaction time. When you have a slower pitcher who is moving the ball around, moving up might help. If you've got a faster pitcher AND an umpire with a big strike zone, better to stay where you're comfortable and jump on the first thing that looks half-way decent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut